Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply default style to points not in Description Keys

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
720 Views, 6 Replies

Apply default style to points not in Description Keys

Can I apply a default style to points with a raw description not in the description key sets?

When I import survey points into the drawing my description keys will assign specifed styles (and therefore layers) to descriptions it recognises, and a default style (and layer) to ones it does not recognise.

Then if i change raw descriptions in the drawing I can "Apply description keys" and have the styles and layers change based on the changes I made to the raw description. This is fine for descriptions in the key set.

Can I get Civil3D to apply the default style to points that did have a description that is in the DKS but has now been changed to one that is not? As it works for me now, these points remain unchanged in there layer and style.

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: Anonymous

The way I have it set up, any point that essentially has no desc key assigned will be assigned the Basic style.  If it was TREE, it would get the tree symbol, if I change it to ABC then apply desc keys, it will change to Basic.

The trick is to add two new dwsc keys; @* and #*.  The @ catches any that begin with letters, the # catches any that begin with numbers.

1.png

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
Pointdump

CB,

Not sure I understand. Why don't you want to just make another Description Key for the changed Raw Descriptions?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

Imagine the surveyor picked up a bunch of points and coded them CB, but they're not catch basins. They'd get the CB symbol based on the desc key. Change those codes to something else that doesn't require a symbol, just an X. If you apply desc keys they don't change to an X unless you set up the 2 keys I suggested in my previous post.
Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Yes you could make another description key for those points, but doing as Matt suggests helps the user see that either another description key needs to be set or that they need to be coded differently. I have the description keys @* and #* go to a layer "unrecognised points" and with a style that stands our visually so they can be easitly identified.

Great work Matt.

Cheers 

Message 6 of 7
mathewkol

Thanks. Glad to help.
Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mathewkol

Sorry Matt.

It appeared to work for me, but I have just discovered that @* is matched before any specific one letter codes.

For example I have "F*" for fence points, but these codes get caught by @*.

So @* and #* do work, but only as long as the minimum length of the other description keys is a minimum of two characters.

Does this sound correct?

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report