Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using AutoCad 3D in a remote desktop environment?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
11645 Views, 28 Replies

Anyone using AutoCad 3D in a remote desktop environment?

Hello: I'm working with a civil engineering firm that wants to move away from powerful individual workstations and use a remote desktop virtualization solution to run AutoCad 3D on remote servers, so engineers can work from home, etc.

Is anybody aware of or using a similar system?

I'm very curious to learn if people are happy with this type of solution?

Are there problems with latency, graphic quality, etc?

Does it support split screen / multiple monitors?

Any available info on the type of hardware / virtualization software deployed?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
TravisNave
in reply to: igi_pop

Dubious indeed.  One license is good for one user, one at a time.  Not only is it unethical to remote into the machine to run Civil while the other engineer is using Civil, but it is a blatant violation of the license agreement.  As I am not a certified member of the Autodesk Software Asset Management team, I can say for absolute certain that this kind of behavior is the kind that initiates an audit.  It will be infinitely cheaper to simply purchase a new machine for you than it will be to pay both the fine and the required network license activation fee.  I would highly recommend to your higher ups that their suggestion is illegal.  Now, they can get the same kind of result by utilizing a Citrix environment with network licensing for both of you.  That would consolidate the processing power to the host server and keep you in compliance with the licensing.  That is supported.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autodes...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 22 of 29
igi_pop
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

Dubious indeed.  One license is good for one user, one at a time.  Not only is it unethical to remote into the machine to run Civil while the other engineer is using Civil, but it is a blatant violation of the license agreement.  As I am not a certified member of the Autodesk Software Asset Management team, I can say for absolute certain that this kind of behavior is the kind that initiates an audit.  It will be infinitely cheaper to simply purchase a new machine for you than it will be to pay both the fine and the required network license activation fee.  I would highly recommend to your higher ups that their suggestion is illegal.  Now, they can get the same kind of result by utilizing a Citrix environment with network licensing for both of you.  That would consolidate the processing power to the host server and keep you in compliance with the licensing.  That is supported.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autodes...

Good Luck!

if it's easier to cope with it, let's imagine both PC's are mine and i have two licences active 😉

and no, i'm not mocking you. we DO buy software, and legal matter is the other aspect that i would bring to them while stating my case of "buy me a new machine and off with ye!". Altho i'm farely sure we have multiple licences for multiple products, but i'd rather have them check than getting it wrong by a mile.

Thanks for the quick response! 🙂

Citrix is something i'll be sure to mention aswell..thanks!

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 23 of 29
andrewpuller3811

I'm not an expert, but from what I know, Windows 7 pro will only allow one use login at a time, without additional software, and then I have only seen sharing of the desktop environment. This would be equivelant to sitting at the same desk and sharing the mouse and keyboard. Yes you could have instances of civil 3d running with different files open in each, but you would only be able to work on one at a time.

As far as I know, to enable multiple user login at one time, with seperate desktop environments, you need windows server.

The mucking around and down time in a fortnight alone would be more than enough to pay for a new PC with you both sharing a machine to work.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 24 of 29

Any update about this topic. I am trying to find out any solutions here. It seems there is no optium solution for remote accessing the Autocad software in order to save money.
Message 25 of 29
dgorsman
in reply to: foruma000294

Remote access provides easier access for users not-on-site, not cost savings.  With a Citrix set-up the terminal can be cheaper but that money is spent on licensing and server-side hardware.  With VPN you still require a suitable hardware set-up where the user is, along with a solid connection.  With AutoDesk Remote and similar set-ups you require suitable hardware to remotely connect to.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 26 of 29
foruma000294
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi dgorsman, I absolutely agree with you. Setup Citrix setup or vpn connection may be costed higher than purchasing several Autocad licenses. But in other point of view, if a shared pool of Autocad license is setup, then everyone can share the license and no need to have a Autocad software installed in local machine. It can be reduced plenty of supporting work and the risk of illegal software installed in local machine. Thanks, Raymond Cheung
Message 27 of 29
igi_pop
in reply to: Anonymous

Finaly! Constructive answers started poping out! Instead of just "Oh, do you know that's illegal??" 🙂

keep it up fellas (and gals)

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 28 of 29
rubenfWVT2F
in reply to: TravisNave

Not everyone has a dual cpu 48 cores  graphic cards rig at home to continue your work you know?

@TravisNave wrote:

Keep in mind, Ken, that accessing servers to host AutoCAD violates the license agreement.  Some of the products are certified for Citrix as Darren recommends.  However, accessing the software remotely hosted on a server is a violation of the EULA. 

You could install a home use license per Subscription or allow a home installation access a network license manager via VPN and maintain compliance. 

Message 29 of 29
tcorey

@igi_pop wrote:

.... Instead of just "Oh, do you know that's illegal??" 🙂

I think that’s the most important advice you can get. As a business, the last thing you want is Autodesk on your rear end. I’ve seen settlements of many times the cost of the software and having to take out advertising to publicize the settlement. It’s professionally embarrassing and super expensive, so heed the advice: Do what you can to reduce your costs, but not if it breaks your license agreement. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report