AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 1 of 16 (1,417 Views)
Accepted Solution

Anyone have some drafting supplies?

1417 Views, 15 Replies
04-18-2013 12:37 PM

I'm beginning to think that hand drafting and design with my trusty HP41CX would be faster, and safer, than what C3D is currently giving me. Every one of my Production Sheets, in a newly created SheetSet, with newly created ViewFrames, with newly created Data Shortcuts must now be manually Sync'ed at drawing open. Each drawing appeared to work fine, until I added some additional Dref's for the Pipe Networks (which were not in the drawing the Sheets were created from), a FG surface, and surrounding streets.

This is now such a time sink, and just flat out maddening, that I'm ready to go back to my roots in this field.

This affects C3D2012/SP2.1, C3D2013/SP1, & C3D2014. It did NOT occur with any version prior to C3D2012/SP2, nor in the initial release of C3D2013. Support says it is a known issue "for some data sets", well then I must be special because it's now happenning with every one I open. And I'm seeing more and more users post on here with the same, or nearly the same, problem. I had a project to get out today, I will most certainly NOT get it done now, thanks to this insane issue.

Yes, I'm frustrated and not very dang happy right now.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 2 of 16 (1,388 Views)

Re: Anyone have some drafting supplies?

04-18-2013 01:23 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

You are not alone in facing this dilemma (having everything blow up at submittal time). Can you file a High Priority support request?

I'm holding on to my drafting tools!

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 3 of 16 (1,350 Views)

04-18-2013 02:26 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff, thanks for venting to the discussion group instead of directly to your reseller. :smileywink:

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 4 of 16 (1,327 Views)

04-18-2013 04:21 PM in reply to: tcorey

Glad to be of help, Tim :smileyhappy:

Since I was pretty much dead in the water this afternoon, I decided to start experimenting and found something that makes sense, although not very comforting.

I can manually start a new drawing with my normal DWT, xref in the base drawing, DRef in the ALignments, Profiles, Surfaces, and Pipe Networks. Everything works as it should. I save, close, reopen the drawing after each step. I create a ProfileView, add the Pipe Parts I want to see, save, close, reopen, all still good.

So now I need my Plan/Profile sheet. I do nothing more than create a new Layout from a Template, select the 20 scale tab from the Template, save, close, reopen....and this is where the drawing is now Borked. Only the first Alignment, first Surface, and both Pipe Networks sync on open, all other alignments and profiles do not. This tells me there is something amiss with the P&P dwt. So I delete the tab, purge the blocks that were inserted with it, save, close, reopen. Still borked, and no amount of additional item removal allows the DRefs to autosync again. Looks like I will try this again, tomorrow, by not importing that Layout but create a new one from scratch. 

As it stands now, every P & P drawing I have is basically useless....

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 5 of 16 (1,316 Views)

04-18-2013 06:51 PM in reply to: Jeff_M
Yikes!
Hope the insanity ends soon
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 6 of 16 (1,307 Views)

04-18-2013 08:15 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

This sounds a lot like a recent issue in one of our offices where there were certain P&P sheets that had multiple Dref's

that had to be manually synched on every open.

I spent several hours toubleshooting the files and by chance I noticed something very strange in the Alignment Properties of the Dref'd alignment in the troubled P&P sheets. The Station range went from 0+00 to 0+00.

The PN.dwg (pipe network source dwg) was attached to the plan sheets and the network was also Dref'd into plan sheet. I detached the PN.dwg Xref and the manual synch issue went away.

It makes absolutely no sense to me and must be a bug.

P.S. I tried attaching an swf showing the issue but it's too large.

Hope this helps.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 7 of 16 (1,290 Views)

04-18-2013 11:09 PM in reply to: Jay_B

No. Friggin'. Way.

Jay, THANK YOU! 8 months of back & forth with support, 8 months of trying just about everything I could think of, and not once did I try this until now. Unloading the Xref with the PipeNetworks now allows every P & P sheet to open correctly.

Man, I, and many others, owe you a beer, or coffee, or something, for reading my rant and posting your thoughts. I am truly thankful. I may not quit my J.O.B. afterall.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 8 of 16 (1,283 Views)

04-18-2013 11:19 PM in reply to: Jay_B

Very well done sir!  Sometimes it's not about posting a solution, just throwing out an idea that gets people thinking about the problem in a new way.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 9 of 16 (1,263 Views)

04-19-2013 05:16 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

"for reading my rant and posting your thoughts."

Jeff, it was actually the title of your post that caught my attention and when I read it It made me laugh. :smileyvery-happy:

Don't ask me how I figured this one out all I remember is staring at the dialog stating Sta. 0+00 to 0+00 and thinking how can this possibly be?

Glad I could help you out for a change and thanks for all you do on this board.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 10 of 16 (1,224 Views)

04-19-2013 10:00 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Here is the Swf file I mentioned was too large to post.

(Thanks to Brian Hailey)

http://www.screencast.com/t/wLbBaByc

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.