Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have some drafting supplies?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Jeff_M
4146 Views, 22 Replies

Anyone have some drafting supplies?

I'm beginning to think that hand drafting and design with my trusty HP41CX would be faster, and safer, than what C3D is currently giving me. Every one of my Production Sheets, in a newly created SheetSet, with newly created ViewFrames, with newly created Data Shortcuts must now be manually Sync'ed at drawing open. Each drawing appeared to work fine, until I added some additional Dref's for the Pipe Networks (which were not in the drawing the Sheets were created from), a FG surface, and surrounding streets.

This is now such a time sink, and just flat out maddening, that I'm ready to go back to my roots in this field.

This affects C3D2012/SP2.1, C3D2013/SP1, & C3D2014. It did NOT occur with any version prior to C3D2012/SP2, nor in the initial release of C3D2013. Support says it is a known issue "for some data sets", well then I must be special because it's now happenning with every one I open. And I'm seeing more and more users post on here with the same, or nearly the same, problem. I had a project to get out today, I will most certainly NOT get it done now, thanks to this insane issue.

Yes, I'm frustrated and not very dang happy right now.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jeff_M

You are not alone in facing this dilemma (having everything blow up at submittal time). Can you file a High Priority support request?

I'm holding on to my drafting tools!

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 23
tcorey

Jeff, thanks for venting to the discussion group instead of directly to your reseller. Smiley Wink

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: tcorey

Glad to be of help, Tim Smiley Happy

Since I was pretty much dead in the water this afternoon, I decided to start experimenting and found something that makes sense, although not very comforting.

I can manually start a new drawing with my normal DWT, xref in the base drawing, DRef in the ALignments, Profiles, Surfaces, and Pipe Networks. Everything works as it should. I save, close, reopen the drawing after each step. I create a ProfileView, add the Pipe Parts I want to see, save, close, reopen, all still good.

So now I need my Plan/Profile sheet. I do nothing more than create a new Layout from a Template, select the 20 scale tab from the Template, save, close, reopen....and this is where the drawing is now Borked. Only the first Alignment, first Surface, and both Pipe Networks sync on open, all other alignments and profiles do not. This tells me there is something amiss with the P&P dwt. So I delete the tab, purge the blocks that were inserted with it, save, close, reopen. Still borked, and no amount of additional item removal allows the DRefs to autosync again. Looks like I will try this again, tomorrow, by not importing that Layout but create a new one from scratch. 

As it stands now, every P & P drawing I have is basically useless....

EESignature
Message 5 of 23
Joe-Bouza

Yikes!
Hope the insanity ends soon
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 23
Jay_B

Jeff,

This sounds a lot like a recent issue in one of our offices where there were certain P&P sheets that had multiple Dref's

that had to be manually synched on every open.

I spent several hours toubleshooting the files and by chance I noticed something very strange in the Alignment Properties of the Dref'd alignment in the troubled P&P sheets. The Station range went from 0+00 to 0+00.

The PN.dwg (pipe network source dwg) was attached to the plan sheets and the network was also Dref'd into plan sheet. I detached the PN.dwg Xref and the manual synch issue went away.

It makes absolutely no sense to me and must be a bug.

P.S. I tried attaching an swf showing the issue but it's too large.

Hope this helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jay_B

No. Friggin'. Way.

Jay, THANK YOU! 8 months of back & forth with support, 8 months of trying just about everything I could think of, and not once did I try this until now. Unloading the Xref with the PipeNetworks now allows every P & P sheet to open correctly.

Man, I, and many others, owe you a beer, or coffee, or something, for reading my rant and posting your thoughts. I am truly thankful. I may not quit my J.O.B. afterall.

EESignature
Message 8 of 23
sboon

Very well done sir!  Sometimes it's not about posting a solution, just throwing out an idea that gets people thinking about the problem in a new way.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 23
Jay_B

"for reading my rant and posting your thoughts."

Jeff, it was actually the title of your post that caught my attention and when I read it It made me laugh. Smiley Very Happy

Don't ask me how I figured this one out all I remember is staring at the dialog stating Sta. 0+00 to 0+00 and thinking how can this possibly be?

Glad I could help you out for a change and thanks for all you do on this board.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 23
Jay_B

Here is the Swf file I mentioned was too large to post.

(Thanks to Brian Hailey)

http://www.screencast.com/t/wLbBaByc

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 11 of 23
Jeff_M

Thanks for the video, Jay. I found that merely unloading the Xref accomplishes the task. This allows any layer settings I've made to be retained, so if I need to use it for anything it's all still quickly accessible. 

For anyone following along, I've advised Tech Support of this. Hopefully now they can come up with a fix. I still have some drawings for smaller projects that have the pipe networks in a drawing with other objects, so I need to be able to Xref AND Dref pipe network objects from that drawing.

EESignature
Message 12 of 23
htothethird

We are still having this problem with sporatic P&P sheets.  I have a project of 125 sheets and so far it's only an issue with 3 of them but I can't just unload or detach my utility base dwg as it has other information besides pipe networks.  I have the pipe network data shortcuted in.  Has anyone heard of a solution to this??

Message 13 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: htothethird

@htothethird wrote:

Has anyone heard of a solution to this??

I wish....currently still struggling with a project that, like you, I cannot change the Xref/Dref's. I also learned yesterday that if I create a Sample Line on a Dref alignment in one of these problem drawings, the next time the drawing is opened not only must I still manaully sync but the Sample line and associated Sections/SectionViews get stripped from the drawing. This forced me to place the sectionviews in a drawing that I did not want them in and then xref that drawing to the P & P sheet. A Royal PITA.

EESignature
Message 14 of 23
htothethird

Hey All -

So I just noticed that when I copied my sheet into a new folder (Design Change 2) thats when this happens.  My copied sheet is f'ed as well as my original.  I can still force the sync refs but it doesn't save and I have to do it everytime I open the sheet. 

Does this spark any new ideas????  Getting desperate as this is now affecting multiple jobs.

Thanks!

Message 15 of 23
dueylew

This is not a solution but a work around.

Message 16 of 23
C3D-Nash
in reply to: dueylew

An update for those following this post... We worked through this problem with the dev team in 2015 beta testing, and a solution was found.  It's been a long time coming, but I think the synchronization issues with Xref/Dref duplication of objects has finally ended.  I've requested that this be included in a 2014 service pack as well, which I hope happens as we won't adopt 2015 until later this year.

Message 17 of 23
f_bobadilla
in reply to: C3D-Nash

Update-  By the way this is NOT fixed on 2015.  I have the same problem but something rather interesting happens.  When I attach a file as an XREF, which is not the source drawing that contains the data shorcut surface, the surface does not display until synchronized. The file I'm Xrefing has the surface on it as a data shorcut, but the surface resides in a totally different file.  Big bug on Data shorcuts.  What is the purpose of data shortcuts then?

Did some testing.  Deleted the referenced surface from the xref'd drawing and it works as expected!...Unfortunately this is not feasible for me as I use the EG surface to cut profiles 😞

Since this is an EG surface I have decided to do my contour labels via xref to avoid issues when publishing.

Autodesk come on? Really?

Message 18 of 23
Drea_Mueller

Thanks for this post Jay. I am working in C3D 2015 and was having to sync my finished surface in my plan and profile dwgs to get my surface labels to show up correctly. Your post has made my day. This little hiccup is just one of the many reasons that make civil 3d frustrating for new users. I personally am very impressed with the program the majority of the time, but when I am asked to train others on it, these little bugs/glitches are the things that give new users and management reasons to just throw their hands in the air and give up..... very frustrating....
Message 19 of 23
Jay_B
in reply to: Drea_Mueller

Glad to hear it helped.

Don't give up, it does get better as users become familiar with the software, but keep that toolbox of workarounds close by, as you will need them. Smiley Very Happy

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 20 of 23
ChuckLamping

Anyone seen an update on how/when this might be addressed? It's really jacking with our workflow and usage of SSM.

Chuck Lamping, PE
Civil 3D 2017 SP1.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report