AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 1 of 13 (319 Views)
Accepted Solution

Any way to get layer settings (multiple nested XREFs) to be honored correctly?

319 Views, 12 Replies
04-10-2012 01:43 PM

We have an area that is being dramatically replatted, for the third time in several areas.  We are required to do an "As Platted" vs. "As Replatted" overview page.

All the core linework is in our base drawing.  I *thought* I could create an "As Platted" DWG (with an XREF to our base drawing), and display/freeze layers in that drawing appropriately to show the "As Platted" conditions.  Then create an "As Replatted" DWG (also with an XREF to the base drawing), and freeze/display layers in that drawing to appropriately show the "As Replatted" conditions.  Then I had planned to XREF both the "As Platted" and "As Replatted" drawings into yet another drawing, where I could show them side-by-side on one layout.

However, it doesn't work.  I went to a lot of trouble to get all the layer settings correct in both the "As Platted" and "As Replatted" DWGs, but as soon as I try to XREF them into another DWG, all the layer settings get reset to whatever I have set in my base drawing.

I suppose I could bind the base drawing into both the "As Platted" and "As Replatted" DWG, but I really hate to do that, since things might still change before we're done.  I suppose another option would be to reduce the "As Platted" and "As Replatted" drawings to DWF, and use DWF underlays.  That might be better, because if something changes, I can just recreate the DWF files.

Anyone else have any better ideas?

I'd never realized before that Autocad doesn't honor layer settings correctly when there are multiple levels of nested XREFs involved.  Kind of caught me by surprise.

Sinc

HAH!  PDF Underlay works, and gets the results I need, without needing to bind my drawings.  That still gives me the flexibility I think I may need for up-coming revisions, and then all I have to do is recreate the PDFs as revisions happen (I hope).

So much for the vaunted DWF format...

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 2 of 13 (314 Views)

Re: Any way to get layer settings (multiple nested XREFs) to be honored correctl

04-10-2012 02:09 PM in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

I'd never realized before that Autocad doesn't honor layer settings correctly when there are multiple levels of nested XREFs involved.  Kind of caught me by surprise.

I'm almost positive it used to work like this, because I'm also pretty sure that I've used your exact procedure in the distant past. I run into the same issues during plan production. I have all the layers in my base drawing set how I want, but then I have to go into each new sheet and reset them. A real PITA.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 3 of 13 (310 Views)

Re: Any way to get layer settings (multiple nested XREFs) to be honored correctl

04-10-2012 02:11 PM in reply to: Sinc

Well, the DWF underlay route seems to be a no-go.  It looks great on-screen, exactly the way I want it, but when I print it, all lines in the DWF get reset to the same lineweight.  Both DWFs have every line at exactly the same lineweight.

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 4 of 13 (300 Views)

04-10-2012 02:41 PM in reply to: Sinc

HAH!  PDF Underlay works, and gets the results I need, without needing to bind my drawings.  That still gives me the flexibility I think I may need for up-coming revisions, and then all I have to do is recreate the PDFs as revisions happen (I hope).

So much for the vaunted DWF format...

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 5 of 13 (298 Views)

04-10-2012 02:42 PM in reply to: Sinc

Isn't VISITANT in charge of that?

Nested xrefs can be convoluted for sure. Have you tried renaming the base xref in the xref manager to like "base01" then attaching the next plat? Perhaps seeing the same xref name is confusing it

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 6 of 13 (295 Views)

04-10-2012 02:53 PM in reply to: Sinc

I thoght for sure that would work - I've used it in the past but no go

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 7 of 13 (292 Views)

04-10-2012 02:55 PM in reply to: Sinc

seems like you'll have to vplayer the sheet file?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 8 of 13 (279 Views)

04-10-2012 05:27 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is a pretty convoluted area, and I have no interest in redoing a whole bunch of work via VPLAYER settings.  The PDF underlay is working just fine, so I'm going to let it go at that.  Otherwise, I'd spend another several hours redoing all the layer settings I already did.

Things like this get really frustrating...  I wish Autodesk would stop pushing out these yearly releases, and concentrate on getting at least ONE version working well.  It seems every release breaks as many things as it fixes.

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
LisaPohlmeyer
Message 9 of 13 (258 Views)

04-11-2012 05:46 AM in reply to: Sinc

I use this feature all the time.  My VISRETAIN variable is set to 1 and I save a layer state for my VP.  I then restore that layer state to any other VPs that are the same.  Am I missing something?

Lisa Pohlmeyer

C3D 2012 SP4, C3D 2015
Please use "Accept as Solution" if this solved your issue.
Valued Contributor
TCARCAMO78
Message 10 of 13 (249 Views)

layer settings (multiple nested XREFs) to be honored correctly

04-11-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: Sinc

Hmm that's interesting. I think I would have tried attaching the drawings thru task pane in the Planning and Analysis workspace. I honestly don't know if that would work since I haven't tried but it should. If you make changes to any of the attached drawings you should see that changes. In the display manager you can change the coloring and linetypes with queries. Just a thought.

Tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.