Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Objects

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Pointdump
1106 Views, 27 Replies

Annotative Objects

Juxtaposed to C3D objects, annotative objects, like Text, Dimensions, and MultiLeaders, are torture to understand and use. So I'm just wondering how C3D'ers deal with annotative objects. Do you avoid 'em like The Plague and use Note Labels and Line/Curve Labels, then drag them to make imitation Multileaders? Or do you gut it out and make an Heroic Attempt to understand how annotative objects work with the dizzying boggle of scale selections?

Annotative.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jay_B

I guess I messed up. MSLTSCALE=1 then use the scale selector to adjust LTSCALE and annotation when working in MS.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 22 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

Good suggestion. Here's what I did. I made a Custom Linetype, using 50' and 10' segments and .2 and .1 text heights. Thusly:

M0_1.png

M1_1.png

I don't know why the Blue Centerline and the Custom Line are at odds with eachother. Next, I'll play with changing the MS Scale, and see if I can come to grips with this. I feel more knowledgable and more confused at the same time.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 23 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave,
When MSLTSCALE=1 your linetypes will look just as they will when plotted, according to your annotation scale. In your screen cap you have annotation scale is 1"=100' so your linetypes are showing as they would when plotted at 1"=100'. If a view on your sheet is actually plotting at 1"=20', then set your MS annotation scale to 1"=20' and you will then see everything as it will look when plotted at 1"=20'.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil,

Thanks for the clarification. Since I attach great weight to your advice, I was confused.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 25 of 28
rl_jackson

An important factor with custom linetypes is that the text style being used has a height set to zero, then in the linetype definition you specify the height you want.

Gereally I have the style standard set that way for that reason. And use it for only linetype definitions.

Edit:

Here is an example:

*PROPERTY_1, Property Line
A,1,-.12,["PL",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.08,Y=-.05],-.12
*PROPERTY_2, Property Line
A,.5,-.12,["PL",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.08,Y=-.05],-.12

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thanks, RL, for the tip on text heights for custom linetypes.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 27 of 28
dgorsman

If you were drawing a *lot* of short lines you need to tweak, it might be easier to set the CELTSCALE first instead of fixing the line objects later.  CELTSCALE is one of those settings which can be handy in the rare chance its needed, but annoying for the rest of the time - like CECOLOR (object color).

Yet another thing to watch out for is ACAD.LIN vs. ACADISO.LIN linetype files.  Its not uncommon for metric files to use the imperial (inch) defined linetypes from ACAD.LIN with a global LTSCALE of 10.  If you replace the linetypes with their equivalents from ACADISO.LIN they can look a little short, so its also not unusual to see either a global LTSCALE of 0.5 *or* a global LTSCALE of 1.0 and using the "2" linetypes (DASHED2, CENTER2, etc.).  No matter how it gets done, its best to settle on one common definition system.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 28 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks, D. I wondered where CELTSCALE might be useful.

"No matter how it gets done, its best to settle on one common definition system."

Yep. Stray reluctantly from the path that works.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report