Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative objects in Xref...I just cant figure out my issue

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Markintx
2996 Views, 19 Replies

Annotative objects in Xref...I just cant figure out my issue

Im sure this has been answered before but I have been looking and cant seem to solve it.

I have a tree point group style thats annotative, it looks good in the native drawing, and when xrefed into my sheet file it looks good in model space.

But the paper space of the sheet file is where it all goes wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anno2.jpganno1.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
looking4phil
in reply to: Markintx

You have changed the Scale in the bottom right in layout view. Pretty obvious one, or select the viewport and change the annotation scale. Just my 2 cents.
Message 3 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: looking4phil

Message 4 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: looking4phil

I have tried those two options with no results.

Message 5 of 20
Jeff_M

Did you REGEN the viewport after changing the vp scale?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: Jeff_M

I have tried a regen after any of the changes I made to remedy this problem
Message 7 of 20
jmartt

Is the text style defined differently in the two drawings?

Message 8 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: jmartt

i just checked and yes the text styles are set up the same.

Message 9 of 20
Markintx

Anyone else have anything?

I have changed drawing units, text styles, annotation scales, viewport scales, viewport still just seems to be broken or there is some variable i havent changed.

This seems like an important part of the software to be working. Im using 2014 so were 7+ years into the development of this tool.

I just cant figure it out and really need some help.

Thanks in advance

Message 10 of 20
Jeff_M

Can you post your 2 drawings? It would probably translate to a quicker, more definitive, answer.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 20
mathewkol

The usual solution to this is:
In your paper space layout make sure the plot scale is 1:1 and the units are set to mm (if you're drawing in metres) or inches (if you're drawing in feet).

The annotation scale has no effect.
The AutoCAD test style height has no effect.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 12 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: Jeff_M

Here are the two files thanks again for the help

Message 13 of 20
jmayo-EE

I didn't look at the files yet but note this. Civil 3D labels autoscale they are not annotative. An annotative state is an AutoCAD feature that does not work on Civil 3D labels. THe autoscaling feature on Civil 3D labels does not work through xrefs. Due to this the model space scale in the reference dwg must match the viewport standard scale. And if you use annotative text, dims, etcs the viewport annotations scale should match the standard scale.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
david.zavislan

Check your drawing settings and make sure that it is set to the same units as the source xref drawing.

2014-12-12_7-58-03.png

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 15 of 20
mathewkol

Here is your problem.

The two files, one is set to Inches and one is set to feet.  Below is the Edit Drawing Settings dialog accessed by right clicking the DWG name in the C3D settings tab.

The quick fix is to change the "20C-01-export.dwg" to inches.  The only way to do this is to use the AECDWGSETUP command.  In the Units tab, change the drawing units to Inches.

The better fix os not to have anything set to inches and use ONLY feet.  This will require a lot of styles tinkering in your existing "00V-BP01-20-export.dwg" file.

image.png

Matt Kolberg
Message 16 of 20
mathewkol
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John, the autoscaling thing does work through XREFs.  i'm doing it with the OPs file.  New viewport, different scale than the attached XREF file and it works great.

Matt Kolberg
Message 17 of 20
Markintx
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt this is the problem. Unfortunatly my alignment file and viewframe file ect are set to feet so when i switch the sheet to inches i get the opposite problem. The file with the trees is from a surveyor, is there any way to convert a file from feet to inches and not have to tweek every style?

Message 18 of 20
jmayo-EE

Listen to Matt. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
mathewkol

So you opened your surveyor's file and started working with it?  This is not the best workflow.  Instead, start a new DWG using your DWT, then INSERT his file into yours.  You will get all of his styles, but the meat of your styles will still be there.  Just assign different styles to his objects, or make only a few edits to his styles if you want to use them.

You could copy/paste his points and lines into a new DWG instead of INSERT and you would get ONLY the styles he's assigned for the objects you paste.

Matt Kolberg
Message 20 of 20
changmarin
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi,

I was experiencing the same issue with the difference that both files were consistent in scale and styles which we set strictly annotative.  We also use metric units, ONLY meters.

We solved the undesired behavior checking the box ”Scale Objects Insterted From Other Drawings“.

Thanks for your help, hope this can add to future inquiries regarding this issue.

Ch.-

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report