Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation template help file and annotation text

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dhenderhan
923 Views, 5 Replies

Annotation template help file and annotation text

I keep finding the answer to this on the forums, but don't use it enough to remember the command.  I am trying to create annoation text through the annotation template but the button referred to in the help file isn't there. There is a command to set attribute text in the block editor to annotation text, but I can't remember it.  Here is a cut/paste from the help file.  Line 4 is the one that isn't there.  Can someone tell me what the command is or where to find this ribbon so I can turn it on in the block editor?  Also, what happened to the FAVORITE option in the help file to get back to something?  I tried 'Liking' it, but now can't find where my 'likes' are?

To Define an Annotation Template
LIKE (1)

An annotation template can include text and graphics.

To define an annotation template

1. Click Annotate tabMap Annotation panelDefine Template.  Find
  2. In the Define Annotation Template dialog box, click New.

You can change the other settings in this dialog box later in the procedure.

3. In the New Annotation Template Name dialog box, type a name for the template, and click OK.

The ribbon changes to show the Block Editor tab. You use the Block Editor to define the annotation template, which is a special type of block.

4. Click Block Editor tabAnnotation panelEdit Annotation Text  Find Then press Enter to create a new annotation tag.

A single annotation template can contain multiple tags, as well as graphic elements.

5. In the Annotation Text dialog box, specify the text to include in this annotation tag.
    • For Attribute, enter a Tag name and Value for the annotation text.

For the value, enter static text or click  to use the Expression Chooser to specify an expression whose value varies depending on the object being annotated.

The Expression Chooser lists the properties, object data, block attributes, and other data associated with the current drawing.

• Specify the Object Properties and Text Options for the annotation text.

For most of the options, you can choose a static value from the dropdown list or specify an expression that is evaluated against the object when you insert the annotation.

Click  to create an expression. Within the Edit Expression dialog box, click  to select from a list of available properties and attributes. Click  to use a value from within theBlock Editor.

If you select ByBlock for Color or Lineweight, the settings in the Define Annotation Template dialog box will be used.

• Click OK to return to the Block Editor.
Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: dhenderhan

If you change to the Planning & Analysis workspace, select the annotate tab, the first panel is the Map Annotation toolset.  You should find everything you need there.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 6
dhenderhan
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I have everything I need except 'edit annotation text'.

The button from #4 above.  Am I missing it?

edit_annotxt.jpg

Here is my toolbar from planning and analysis.

map_anno.jpg

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram
Message 4 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I see what you mean. The tool is missing.  I checked my 2012 install and it's there, the command is _.MAPANNTEXT

I haven't had to do it yet in 2015. 

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 5 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I've found out that it's a known issue. The workaround is as we discussed, either typing the command or you could create your own tool and assign the command to it.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 6 of 6
Hidden_Brain

try MAPANNTEXT while inside the block editor

*Edit: I realized shortly after posting that Lisa has already answered the question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report