Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Quick Section

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
295 Views, 4 Replies

Alternative to Quick Section

With civil 3d's dynamic relationship to dtm models a profile can act like what formally was quick section in the LDT however quick section contained one really nice feature. In the quick section screen we were able to hold click and drag to see the slope of the ground. This was fantastic for checking the feasability of a layout (Picture below) I may be overlooking somewhere in the software but if not consider this a wish list item: I would like to see one of two things: Quick section incorporated into civil 3d or The ability to drag your cursor in the profile and see what the grad is.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ekubaskie
in reply to: Anonymous

You didn't mention WHAT you wanted to click, hold, and drag. I'm assuming you meant the quick-section line, which in the C3D case would be the alignment.

If you can see both the plan view and proifile on your screen (viewports from a layout?), you can do it with C3D.

Quick section is more convenient, though, and I would agree that it should be ported to C3D before we can consider C3D a full replacement for LDT. Daylighting and the 3D Polyline routines, too!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I dont really want to click (pick) anything. With Quick section if you hold the left button within the quick section view and while holding move your mouse around it will draw a vector and displays the grade on that vector. That is what the image I attached is showing all I did was pick in the lower left and hold and move to the upper right and it is displaying the grade at the top of the quick section bar. I really like this feature and wish to see it in future releases. "ekubaskie" wrote in message news:22634187.1101933769648.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > You didn't mention WHAT you wanted to click, hold, and drag. I'm assuming you meant the quick-section line, which in the C3D case would be the alignment. > > If you can see both the plan view and proifile on your screen (viewports from a layout?), you can do it with C3D. > > Quick section is more convenient, though, and I would agree that it should be ported to C3D before we can consider C3D a full replacement for LDT. Daylighting and the 3D Polyline routines, too!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

AOK - I'll add this to the list of requirements. We're well aware of the need for a more direct "quick section" utility (like in LDT). Nice thought on the Slope display... DAS "Landman" wrote in message news:41adfa49_3@newsprd01... > With civil 3d's dynamic relationship to dtm models a profile can act like > what formally was quick section in the LDT however quick section contained > one really nice feature. In the quick section screen we were able to hold > click and drag to see the slope of the ground. This was fantastic for > checking the feasability of a layout (Picture below) > > I may be overlooking somewhere in the software but if not consider this a > wish list item: > > I would like to see one of two things: > > Quick section incorporated into civil 3d or > The ability to drag your cursor in the profile and see what the grad is. > > >
Message 5 of 5
ekubaskie

I just did the sections tutorial yesterday, and you can draw lines in a section view that will be labelled with slope.

This tells me that almost all the code is already there, and maybe the slope could be displayed as tooltip tracking as you drag the line endpoint. Then you could just escape out if youy didn't really want to draw a line.

Meanwhile, I would LOVE to see quick sections work as normal C3D section views rather than a separate section window, at least when imported. The labelling and gridding options are so much richer than LDT quick-section imports!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report