Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment Style vs Alignment Labels: PI treated differently?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
eladkcem
4531 Views, 12 Replies

Alignment Style vs Alignment Labels: PI treated differently?

I have a question on Alignment PI's. (Point of Inflection/Intersection)

I have an alignment where some PI's have curves, others are merely hard bends.

Is there a way to automatically label the PI's even if they have an associated curve? (I'd like PI, PC and PT)

Alternatively, can I only show markers at PI's without curves?

Attached PDF should help clarify...

thanks y'all,

-d

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sboon
in reply to: eladkcem

Points which are actually on the alignment can be labelled using Geometry point labels.  PI's for curves have to be labelled separately using Tangent Intersection or Point of Intersection labels.  It's a separate step but you can add multiple TI or PI labels to the entire alignment.  You can also control which geometry points are labelled as part of a label set, so you could exclude PI's without curves or use a different style.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 13
nilesh33

Hi,

We can use Curve MId point in Geometry point lables. (For Simple Alignments only)

just some lazy drafting ...

Regards,

Nilesh

Message 4 of 13
eladkcem
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

Thanks, This gets me halfway there. Now I can label the PI's all at once. Attached image shows the location of the "multiple tangent intersection' labels, which indeed does label all the PI's (with or without a curve).  Strange that this wasn't included in the alignment labels geometry points.

Once labeled however, you have to update them each separately if you want to change styles...They don't seem to be associated as a group like the other alignment labels. (and I don't think you can save them into a label set).

Can you elaborate on this part of your post: "You can also control which geometry points are labelled as part of a label set, so you could exclude PI's without curves or use a different style." I have been unable to find a way to differentiate PI's depending on whether they have a curve or not..

Any thoughts on how to display only the PI's not associated with a curve? (the marker set portion of the alignment style)

thanks,

-dale

Message 5 of 13
eladkcem
in reply to: nilesh33

Thanks Nilesh,

This may work for some folks, but I need the label to have (x,y) coordinate info for the PI point itself, not just the alignment stationing.  My version of C3D also does not have the 'curve midpoint' option either... (perhaps that's new in 2012?) I'm stuck with 2011.

thx though.

-d

Message 6 of 13
sboon

Once labeled however, you have to update them each separately if you want to change styles...They don't seem to be associated as a group like the other alignment labels. (and I don't think you can save them into a label set).

They are individual labels rather than a set, but you can use Select Similar to get all of them and once you have done that you can set the style for all of them using the Properties dialog box.

Can you elaborate on this part of your post: "You can also control which geometry points are labelled as part of a label set, so you could exclude PI's without curves or use a different style." I have been unable to find a way to differentiate PI's depending on whether they have a curve or not..

When you add Geometry Point labels you should see this dialog.  For labels already in the drawing you can pick the ellipsis that I've highlighted in red and use it to select which type of geometry points to label using this particular style.  In this case I would turn off the Tangent-Tangent labels.

Clipboard01.png

Any thoughts on how to display only the PI's not associated with a curve? (the marker set portion of the alignment style)

Can't see any way to do that from the alignment style.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 13
troma
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

Can't see any way to do that from the alignment style.

Steve

But you could put your marker in a label and accomplish this using the same method Steve already outlined.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 13
wfberry

With today's methods of office and field work I am trying to determine just WHO needs the PI Station (for curves) or perhaps just WHY? 

Bill

Message 9 of 13
eladkcem
in reply to: wfberry

A fair question, but please all refer to my original post (PDF). I DON'T want to show the PI in locations where curves are added to the alignment. (because as I believe you are suggesting, PC/PT are sufficient)  I ONLY want to have PI markers (and labels) at locations where the alignment bends without a curve.

What I'm noticing is that you all appear to have newer versions of C3D which have different options for geometry points. In my original post notice that the screen shot of that menu is different.. (I don't have the curve mid-point option) 

Basically the solution to this is to update from 2011...

I think what I'll do is create a manual style that includes a marker (as troma sorta suggested) and just manually add it to the PI locations I need... (the ones without curves).

That way the Alignment style creates markers for the PC/PT and I can label them with the normal alignment labels/sets and I'll just mimic for the PI that I need.

thanks,

-d

Message 10 of 13
troma

I don't follow your explaination.  You do want PI, PC, PT, but you don't want...what?

"I DON'T want to show the PI in locations where curves are added to the alignment. (because as I believe you are suggesting, PC/PT are sufficient)"

Isn't a PI for a curve the same thing as a PC/PT?  Please enlighten me.  I'm working in 2011, so I should be able to follow you through the menus & styles.  I know there are more options in newer versions.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 13
eladkcem
in reply to: troma

Sorry I'm a bit confused on the terminology myself. I'm trying to 'use my words' as they say.. ;o)

Attached imaged shows a simple alignment. Everything is great in that I have all the labels I need. PC/PT at curves and PI at inflection points (sta 2+32). The only issue is that the alignment style shows markers where the tangents would intersect at the outside of a curve. I can turn off the extensions no problem, but if I turn off the markers at this location it will also turn off the markes at the inflection point (sta 2+32 in the image). 

Edit: Wait, on further thought. I'll just turn off ALL the markers and just have the labels include the marker. Then I don't need to create any labels manually and will just use the alignment label sets as normal...

-dale

Message 12 of 13
troma

@eladkcem wrote:

Edit: Wait, on further thought. I'll just turn off ALL the markers and just have the labels include the marker. Then I don't need to create any labels manually and will just use the alignment label sets as normal...

-dale

I think that makes sense. I've never used markers, but Steve said earlier that it couldn't be done that way.  With labels it should be easy.  I have the one label style that labels all PIs, PTs, PCs.  You should be able to get that going pretty easy.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 13
eladkcem
in reply to: troma

Thanks all for helping me figure this out. I'm not sure which post should be labeled as the solution, but I appreciate all the input.

A label style that included a "tick" component worked great. Now I have automatic labels and markers only where I wanted them and I can drag the labels without moving the markers. (image attached).

Thanks again y'all.

-d

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report