Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment Reference Point.....STAY PUT !

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ACADuser
2235 Views, 11 Replies

Alignment Reference Point.....STAY PUT !

Create an alignment using whatever methods are available. Where in heck in the toolbars do you set the reference point/station ? After creating the aligment I have to go to the alignment properties > station control, and set the reference point/station. Why can't i set it during creation of the aligment ? Having to change it after the fact would'nt be so bad if it were not for a few "irritations"; 1) TWICE, you have to click ok to the warning (once for the station value and once for the xy location. 2) Every time i edit the alignment (add a pvi...) the reference point changes (the x/y location). Whats the deal with that ???

What am I doing wrong ? Any good workarounds ?
ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ACADuser

Draft the alg starting with the ref point and
continue to to the endpoint. Edit the alg geom to add segments before ref
point...

This is not my recommended workflow
but it is a workaround.

John

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Create
an alignment using whatever methods are available. Where in heck in the
toolbars do you set the reference point/station ? After creating the aligment
I have to go to the alignment properties > station control, and set the
reference point/station. Why can't i set it during creation of the aligment ?
Having to change it after the fact would'nt be so bad if it were not for a few
"irritations"; 1) TWICE, you have to click ok to the warning (once for the
station value and once for the xy location. 2) Every time i edit the alignment
(add a pvi...) the reference point changes (the x/y location). Whats the deal
with that ??? What am I doing wrong ? Any good workarounds
?
Message 3 of 12
ACADuser

I have 50+ aligments (driveways, private roads, streams, etc.) that cross over the main road alignment and need to maintain a specific station at the intersection. I'll give your suggestion a try, if they "stay put" then nice workaround.

Thanks
ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

the api lets you change the point pretty easily. I have the code but its not set up to just change the point.
I bet one of the EE guys could whip that out for you.

ACADuser <>
|>Create an alignment using whatever methods are available. Where in heck in the toolbars do you set the reference point/station ? After creating the aligment I have to go to the alignment properties > station control, and set the reference point/station. Why can't i set it during creation of the aligment ? Having to change it after the fact would'nt be so bad if it were not for a few "irritations"; 1) TWICE, you have to click ok to the warning (once for the station value and once for the xy location. 2) Every time i edit the alignment (add a pvi...) the reference point changes (the x/y location). Whats the deal with that ???
|>
|>What am I doing wrong ? Any good workarounds ?
James Maeding
Civil Engineer and Programmer
jmaeding - at - hunsaker - dotcom
Message 5 of 12
ACADuser

You would think there would be a command in the toolbar when creating the alignment. It's not broken so I don't think it merits being on a "wish" list.

Your comment reminds me of my long put off ambition to start writing code. Some day......
ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 6 of 12
MikeEvansUK

I think I know what you are refering to and it looks like you missed it!

Alignment layout tools> Create new alignment dialogue "starting chainage / station".

If the first point you create is negative from station 0.000 (i.e. centreline of adjacent roadway) then change this setting to the negative value. eg: -3.25m. Otherwise there is no harm in resetting it afterwards unless you have a "static" or design profile on top, dynamic surface profiles are fine.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 12
Sinc

That isn't the same thing as selecting the reference point and keying in the station at the reference point.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 8 of 12
ACADuser

That would work but the problem is that I don't know what the starting station is. In that dialog box there should be an option for "Reference Station" and there should be a button allowing you to pick the point on screen.

I didn't explain the problem very well. Here is one example of when I don't know the starting station;
I have a main road alignment and there are several streams that cross the road. I need to create an alignment along the centerline/flowline of each stream. I go to create alignment by layout but I don't know the starting station so I leave it at 0+00 and define the name, style, etc. After clicking ok the alignment layout tools open, I then use tangent-tangent no curves and pick points along the stream from one end to the other which crosses the main road alignment. I want the point on the stream alignment where it crosses the main road aligment to be a specific station but there is no tool here either for setting the reference point and station. The only way to set the referencs point and station is to access the alignment properties from the prospector.
ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 9 of 12
BWYarger

I am having a similar problem.  I need to stretch an existing alignment to the south, but I don't want all of the stationing to change.  I just want to stretch the alignment, but pin the existing stationing so that I get the starting location to change as I move it.  I know I knew how to do this, but I have been away from C3D for a couple of years.  Is it as simple as C3D can't and I need to figure out the starting location station so that everything lines back up to the north? 

Brad

C3D 2011 64 Bit SP 1

Vista Business 64

3.0 Core 2 Quad, 8 GB RAM...

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
Message 10 of 12
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: BWYarger

Alignment Properties, Station Control Tab, set the reference point somewhere else than the beginning of the alignment, putting in the correct station value for the selected reference point.

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Message 11 of 12
BWYarger
in reply to: Civil3DReminders

Thank you.  I actually figured it out myself, but did not get back here to write a "nevermind" post.

Brad

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
Message 12 of 12
Simon_Blain

If you create another PI on the reference point (not ideal I know), the station will not change whenever you grip edit the others ends

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report