Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment PI lablel with Lat Long, Station and Delta Angle

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lbartl
1180 Views, 9 Replies

Alignment PI lablel with Lat Long, Station and Delta Angle

We are trying to label the intersection points on an alignment with the following info:

Sta:

Delta Angle

LAT

LONG

See screen shot of label attached

We can make it work with a Northing and Easting, but there is no option for a LAT LONG under the tangent intersection labels.  I tried to make an expression that would format a Northing as a LAT but it just gave me jibberish.

I was able to do it but adding a point at each PI and making a point reference text, but you then have to select a different point for each label....  which works but it is still a multi step process.

Any other ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
troma
in reply to: lbartl

What was the expression you used?

What was the jibberish?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 10
brian.strandberg
in reply to: troma

This would have to be an alignment label.  An alignment label will not let you do lat/long but if you reference a cogo point (at the same location as the label) you can reference text in the LAT/LONG from the cogo point.

Makes sense?

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 4 of 10
lbartl

The expression was {PI Northing} with "format result" set to Latitude.

It inserted the following text in my label N8127666d 35' 49.64"

The correct latitude is N42d 53' 15.53"

Message 5 of 10
lbartl
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Brian,

Thanks.  In my original post I said I referenced a cogo point.  Just seeing if there is a better way to do it, or why the expression is giving my jibberish.

Message 6 of 10
troma

I imagine there is some formula to convert from Northing to Lattitude.  Can you find out what that is, and put it in the expression.

Changing the format only changes the format, not the value.  It is reporting the value of the Northing in the drawing.  You need to create an expression that will calculate the Lattitude.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 10
lbartl

Oh, thanks.  Not sure if there is any magic formula to convert Northing to Lat.  Depends on what coordinate system you are on... I wish Lat & Long were an option with this label style.

Thanks for trying to help.

Message 8 of 10
brian.strandberg

What I am saying is I do not think you need an expression, just the reference text to the cogo point, and indicate the LAT and LONG in the label style.

See example drawing.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 9 of 10
lbartl
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Right.  Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post.  Thats what I ended up doing.

"I was able to do it by adding a point at each PI and making a point reference text, but you then have to select a different point for each label....  which works but it is still a multi step process."

I was hoping to get away from having to click on each label (which on this algnment there are hundreds) and referencing each label to a different cogo point.

Message 10 of 10
troma

I imagine there must be some sort of formula (magic or otherwise).  If the cogo point can do it, it is being calculated somehow!

I guess it would involve a scaling factor and some sort of mutiplication, and Pi.  (That's the Greek letter Pi (3.14159), not the Point of Intersection.)  I really haven't got a clue what the formula would be, and yes it would be different for every drawing potentially.  But I do believe that it can be calculated with some formula.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report