Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment from object issues

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
TheJabberwocky
1066 Views, 4 Replies

Alignment from object issues

Just in the last few days I have started having issues when creating alignments from objects.

I am building roads from plans for setout on site, I receive 2d linework and need to build the 3d road up. I join the required linework into a polyline so I can make a few checks that the lengths and so on are correct before I continue. Then usually I would just go and make an alignment from the polyline.

eg Monday I was setting up 3 intersections and dealing with 6 kerb returns on there. The first 2 created correctly, then when I created the 3rd one I couldn't see it. Then when I did zoom extents it was way off to the left and a mirror of the linework I was trying to create it from. It did it to a further 2 of them and the other 2 came out correctly.

Now it is doing to me when trying to create a centreline.

Is there some issues with what I am doing or what is going on?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jporter
in reply to: TheJabberwocky

Just curious...do either if your polylines have elevations to them (3D polylines)?
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 3 of 5

Recommend tracing the lines and arcs with the alignment creation tools because sometimes the pljoin adds 0 length lines at the joint.... plus with the alignment creation tools you have more flexibility with the curves and you can be certain everything is tangential. I understand you are receiving the 2d linework, but you can place that on a non-plotting or design layer and trace over it with alignment creation tools and avoid problems with alignments from objects.
John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 4 of 5

Figured out what the issue was.

It was this annoying "Normal Z Value" thing being -1 for those arcs which were causing issues.

And to answer the question I create all my alignments from 2d data. I would so much prefer receiving 3d data, but that does not happen very often at all. They are too concerned that the data they might send will differ from the plans and I will use it without checking it first. Maybe they should just get it right in the first place.

Message 5 of 5

As John says. You are better to trace & recreate the alignment than to convert.

Converting the polyline does not create co-joined intelligent alignments which maintain correct tangency etc.

You can't drag and adjust the converted alignment PVI nodes like you can a dynamic alignment.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report