Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment Curves Oddly Displayed

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
BlueLotus
3117 Views, 11 Replies

Alignment Curves Oddly Displayed

I’m not sure if anyone's experienced this problem or not but when I look at an alignment that I’ve Data Referenced into my drawing in my Civil 3D 2011 the tangents and spirals display nicely but the curves don’t display correctly.  I’ve shown an example below.  As you can see, the curve doesn’t visually show as connecting to the spiral but the stationing (tick at the bottom) displays correctly on the theoretical alignment line.  I can still select the alignment to do C3D operations on it but the curves don’t show properly.  It’s quite annoying.

Oddly enough when I open the same drawing in my C3D 2012 it displays correctly so there must be some kind of C3D2011 setting or toggle that I’m missing.  Would anyone happen to know anything about this or how I can fix it?

Thanks,Civil 3D 2011 Curve Display Issue.png

BlueLotus

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
troma
in reply to: BlueLotus

You specify Data shortcut. So do you mean that it looks OK in the original drawing, but not in the host drawing of the d-ref? Are both drawings from the same template?

You mention 2012. You're not opening and saving in 2012 and then trying to work in 2011, are you? It's ok to just open read-only in 2012 to look at it; I presume that's what you are doing.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 12
BlueLotus
in reply to: troma

Update:  I did a little more Google research and it turns out that it's not just a C3D issue but an AutoCAD arc issue.  Strangely enough when I set my VIEWRES to 20,000 it doesn't help at all but when I set my WHIPARC value to 0 instead of 1 it displays just fine now.  I'm not sure what the deal is with this as I've only ever used VIEWRES to control arc smoothness and never dealt with WHIPARC before.  Anyone know any potential problems with having my WHIPARC set to 0?

Thanks,

BlueLotus.

Message 4 of 12
Terrain_IaPLS

Seems this may be only post regarding issue, and using Data Shortcuts as well.

Drawing with actual (source) Alignments are fine (C.L. and Curbs), yet when I use the Data Shortcuts

in another drawing, the Curves are not displayed correctly.  Of the 4 alignments, one has two

curves... and oddly enough one curve is displaying correctly and the other is not.

The two Curb Alignments both have curves that aren't displayed correctly.

.bmp attached for ref.

WHIPARC setting was already 0 in dwg (swap to 1 didn't impact).

VIEWRES setting changes also had no impact.

Drawing was initiated from another, so thinking just try something clean and see impact,

yet Recovery and Audits are clean.... so not sure cause.  Using Civil3D since R2005, and first

time I've seen this result, so wanted to post reference for any others.

Thanks for the original post.

Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Message 5 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Terrain_IaPLS

@Terrain_IaPLS, please use JPG or PNG images instead of BMP's. Have you seen the following thread regarding this issue? https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-forum/c3d-2016-curves-incorrectly-displayed-with-mul...

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 12
Terrain_IaPLS
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Thank you for other thread regarding topic.

I definitely use more than one Model Viewport, switched to single and resolved.

Appreciate resource and quick reply... and excuse oversight on the image format.

Geoff 

Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Message 7 of 12
BlueLotus
in reply to: Terrain_IaPLS

I found the solution:

1. Set "whiparc" to "0".

2. Type "graphicsconfig" and un-check the "High quality geometry (for capable devices)" box.

Looks like AutoCAD/Civil3D 2017's upgrades to make lines appear "smoother" on screen creates problems with large arcs.  Changing whiparc to 0 and turning off the high graphics puts things back to the old way of displaying lines and gets rid of the arc issue.  You have to do both, though, or the issue still remains.

Message 8 of 12
jessica.miller

This very thing caused major issues on our design & geometry sheets; both with alignment geometry & polyline geometry.  I attached an image of the fix we use.  High quality geometry in the graphics performance options needs to be unchecked & the workspace regenerated.  We recreated the issue by toggling the high quality geometry option back on therefore opting for it to be off in the options.  Seems backwards, but it worked for us!

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
4555 West Memorial Road, Oklahoma City, OK 73142
T: 405.753.4200
Dir: 405.753.4616
www.connectcec.com

Message 9 of 12
jessica.miller

This very thing caused major issues on our design & geometry sheets; both with alignment geometry & polyline geometry.  I attached an image of the fix we use.  High quality geometry in the graphics performance options needs to be unchecked & the workspace regenerated.  We recreated the issue by toggling the high quality geometry option back on therefore opting for it to be off in the options.  Seems backwards, but it worked for us!

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 10 of 12
BlueLotus
in reply to: jessica.miller

Thanks, Jessica.  I already found the solution to the problem.  It's my post just above yours.  I found that I had to set WHIPARC to 0 as well and uncheck the High quality geometry.  Just tweaking one of those values didn't work but both had to be off.

Leland

Message 11 of 12
jessica.miller

That will not be the case in a newer version.  We are running 2017 & when I searched for WHIPARC (b/c it was new to me) it show in the help menu as an obsolete variable. 

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 12 of 12
hannes_holmlund

Thank you Blue Lotus, had issues with this recently

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report