Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment and Elevation Label combination

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
civman_daar
512 Views, 7 Replies

Alignment and Elevation Label combination

I need a label style that not only labels the major stationing of an alignment, but also displays the corridor surface elevation beneath it.

10+000

|

22.10m

Something similar to above.

I can add reference text for surface elevation to the alignment label, but all I get is the ???, no surface value.

What am I missing?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
civman_daar
in reply to: civman_daar

Found the answer. 

It appears as though you can have the surface reference label text.  The draw back is that it does not prompt for the surface.  You have to individually select each label to assign a surface.  Known problem in software for 7 years.  You think Autodesk would fix their software to be functional.  BOO on Autodesk!

Message 3 of 8
troma

It is a messed up dumb method of getting reference text to work, here it is:

1. Ctrl + click to select the label (select a few of them)
  2. Look in your properties box where it the setting is for the reference surface
  3. Click the little green arrow symbol, then click in the drawing and then right-click (I think)
  4. The box should pop up allowing you to select the surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 8
troma

@civman_daar wrote:

Found the answer. 

It appears as though you can have the surface reference label text.  The draw back is that it does not prompt for the surface.  You have to individually select each label to assign a surface.  Known problem in software for 7 years.  You think Autodesk would fix their software to be functional.  BOO on Autodesk!

Totally agree.

Little side note: wouldn't it be better to use reference text for the profile, rather than the surface?  Takes the corridor out of the mix on rebuilds, etc.  You use the same messed up method to get it to work though.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 8
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: troma

It would be nice to be able to label profile geometry points at an increment in the alignment labels. Eliminate the need for the annoying reference text work around. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 6 of 8
troma
in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

It's not considered a 'geometry point' if there is no change in the geometry. In other words, if it's a straight line or a curve, there is no point to label.

Obviously we need a fix for that. One would be a method of labeling "profile elevations" (not geometry points) without reference text (like you said). Possibly an even simpler solution would be to allow the reference for the reference text label to be set once for the whole label group, rather than having to stupidly set it for every single stupid stupid label.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 8
LeafRiders
in reply to: troma

Thought I'd try and pull a little more from those already involved with this post. I can't seem to figure out a way to create an alignment label that will give me a surface or profile elevation at an interval along that alignment or at the Alignment Geometry points. The only criteria I see is for adding profile elevations that fall within the Profile Geometry Point" options.

When you say "Ctrl+click" and then add through the properties box, I can't seem to follow. A screen shot would be beautiful, but any additional information here that can either help me with an expression to add to a label style or just the work around to add this profile information to an existing label that's in-place would help. 

I need an alignment label that will highlight the elevation at all the critical locations or at an interval along the alignment.

Message 8 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: LeafRiders

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report