Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial photo background issue

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
neilyj666
573 Views, 14 Replies

Aerial photo background issue

So I've got an aerial image draped on my surface but how can I "cut a hole in it" to view my design when it is in cut??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ccoles
in reply to: neilyj666

One thought was to ake the image transparent so the design can be seen below it.

Another thought is to make a composite surface with the proposed design surface pasted on top of the existing surface, drop it 0.05', then draping the image to that surface. The design surface should show on top of the composite surface, but the image will show the undisturbed surface outside of the design.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 15
Neilw_05

It is the end of the day so I don't have time to test this, but I wonder what happens if you create a hide boundary on your EG around your proposed road or site surface model. Will the draped image honor the hole?

I don't think you will get the results you want unless you find a way to mask the image inside your design model.

I recall seeing a video showing how draped images can removed under proposed bridges. It may have been on AU Online. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 15
BrianHailey

I'm a bit confused. "When it is in cut" would indicate there are two surfaces. Which one are you wanting to cut the hole in? If you are pulling both surfaces into the object viewer (or something of the sort) you could extract the cut/fill balance line (minimum distance between surfaces) and apply that as a hide boundary to your existing surface (I would do this to a copy, not the original and by copy I mean create a new surface and paste your EG into it). Would that work?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 15
BrianHailey
in reply to: ccoles

And if you are using 2013, you can apply one surface as a hide boundary to another surface. That would probably be easiest (if you are using 2013).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

I'm a bit confused. "When it is in cut" would indicate there are two surfaces. Which one are you wanting to cut the hole in? If you are pulling both surfaces into the object viewer (or something of the sort) you could extract the cut/fill balance line (minimum distance between surfaces) and apply that as a hide boundary to your existing surface (I would do this to a copy, not the original and by copy I mean create a new surface and paste your EG into it). Would that work?

Thanks for all the responses

I have a propsed road design which is in cut and fill compared to the EGL. When in fill i.e. above EGL all is well but when in cut i.e. below EGL it is not visible. I wasn't sure how the image would react to a hide boundary although I know that it doesn't display (as a drape) if it extends beyond  the outer boundary of a surface.

I am using 2013 so I'll try the design surface as hide boundary in the EGL....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
antoniovinci

I concur with Ccooles: in Gimp (or Photo$hop) add an alpha channel only to the "hole", then your imagery will be transparent in the cut.

Question: is that raster georeferenced, or simply a mapping texture?

Message 8 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: antoniovinci

It's a georeferenced image

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
antoniovinci

May you attach here that Geotiff, highlighting the zone to be cut..?

Message 10 of 15
neilyj666

When I say georeferenced its a screenshot positioned using ADERSHEET so not a true georeferenced file i.e. no world file.

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
antoniovinci

neilyj wrote:

When I say georeferenced its a screenshot positioned using ADERSHEET so not a true georeferenced file i.e. no world file.

That's good, because graphic editing of a Geotiff wouldn't be so easy.

I miss other infos to help you: tell me, did you use the _DRAPEIMAGE command?

I've attached an image of southern England "without" London: try to drape it on a surface (maybe you could set "transparency=on" in the image props).

Message 12 of 15
neilyj666

Yes I used Drapeimage

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
antoniovinci

neilyj wrote:

Yes I used Drapeimage

Unfortunately my Map2006 does not support that command, so I can't simulate your scenario.

Please try to drape NOLONDON.PNG and report here the result.

If you wanna test its transparency, type in _IMAGEATTACH, insert it wherever, draw a line on it, bring the image on front, in its properties set transparency=on, and enjoy the alpha channel (in 2D, but I'm curious about your draping test in 3D).

Neilw wrote:

Will the draped image honor the hole?

Great idea that one, so let's wait for the OP answer...

Message 14 of 15
Neilw_05

Now that I have a functional C3D to work with I tested the Hide boundary. It works.

So use Brian's suggestion to create a hide boundary from the intersecting surfaces and it should create a perfect mask of the image under your design surface.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 15 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

thanks for testing Neil - I've been on another project since I posted so haven't had a chance to test it myself

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report