Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aerial image for my site?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
cadconfused
305 Views, 1 Reply

aerial image for my site?

I have been searching for how to do this for several hours.  I have found that you can do it with autodesk 360, but I do not have autodesk 360.  It appears that you used to be able to get geoTIFF images from google earth, but that no longer is possible.

The closest I have gotten: I went to USGS at http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/ , at the top I selected the "Download by bounding box" then selected my area and when the options come up I checked "Orthoimagery".  This gives me a .jp2 file and some other files that the usgs sends in a link to your email.   

In AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 I go to the "Raster Tools" tab and choose "Insert..." Then I select my .jp2 file and at the bottom there are some options I leave "Insertion wizard" as the selected option and hit open. At this point I dont really know what I am doing, but I have tried both options "World File Correlation" and "Image File Correlation" and tried changing the units, but I have not found a solution that pulls that image in at the proper location.  I found a thread that talks about a work around, but I couldnt get that to work either... work around

Does anyone know how I can get my images to come in correctly or do you have a better way to do it all together?  Thank you for the input.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
DaveM
in reply to: cadconfused

I have never used a jp2 file, but it might be the same. All of this is from the best of my knowledge and how I do it, some may have better ways. Step 1 Determine what coordinate system and units you image file should project into. Step 2 Create an autocad dwg set with the units and coordinate system of the image. Step 3 Type "mapiinsert" and locate your georefferenced image. press ok on the dialog box. save and close this file. Step 4 Open the drawing your interested in having the image in Step 5 Set the coordinate system to the system all of your data is in. Step 6 use map tools to attach the image drawing you just created Step 7 querry the image into the current drawing. I will elaborate on any step if needed.
Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report