Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEC_CONTOUR to polyline conversion

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
parkscad
4058 Views, 8 Replies

AEC_CONTOUR to polyline conversion

I am using Civil 3D 2009 for editing contours on a old drawing done in Land Desktop or possibly even R14. The contours objects are all AEC_CONTOURS, and I want to convert them to 2D polylines with elevations. In previous versions I remember doing this conversion by simply exploding these objects. I cannot find a way to convert them with this version. I downloaded the Object Enabler, still no luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcarris1
in reply to: parkscad

You should still be able to just explode them to polylines, You may have to explode them twice. Or are they showing up as squares and not contour lines in Civil 3D?

They will generate a ton of vertices, so I would recommend using the Map Drawing Cleanup Tools to reduce the extra vertices.
Message 3 of 9
parkscad

The AEC_CONTOURs look like contour lines but will not explode, no matter how many times I try, the message simply says "cannot explode AEC_CONTOUR. I cannot move or copy these objects, the only command I can find that works on them is ERASE. Only way I have found to deal with this so far is to trace the AEC_CONTOUR with a 2D polyline (which is a pain, as O-Snaps don't work on these objects, either).
Message 4 of 9
jbokic

Will they convert to polylines if you try exporting them to a regular Autocad file from within Civil 3D? (File pulldown -> Export -> Export to Autocad... -> your choice)
Message 5 of 9
parkscad

When I export I get message "Could not instantiate Aec Dict". A file was created but the Aec Contour objects are unchanged.
Thanks
Message 6 of 9
olp3matt

did you ever find an answer to this? i'm having the same problem.
thanks.
Message 7 of 9
mjohnston

This probably isn't overly helpful, but I was given a drawing with contour lines of the type "AECC_Contour" and a single explode function worked like a charm in Civil 3D 2009 to convert them to 2D polys w/ elevation. I then converted to 3D and added them to a new model as breaklines.

-Mark
Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup

Looks like this will be an option in 2010.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
DeeDer

I just had to do this and found you have to open it in "AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion". (I'm using 2008)

The EXPLODE works fine. Whattafrigginhasslethough.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report