Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Civil-3D installation steps?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Sinc
263 Views, 6 Replies

Additional Civil-3D installation steps?

I'm getting the impression that Civil-3D installation includes some undocumented steps. The crux of the matter seems to be that C3D creates a default profile called "<<Unnamed Profile>>", which doesn't work well because of the greater-than and less-than symbols in the profile name.

So, I take it that the default profile should not be used, and the following steps should be performed immediately after installation:

1) Create a new profile, e.g. a profile named "C3D".
2) Customize this profile as desired, leaving the default Unnamed Profile untouched.
3) Open the desktop shortcut, right-click and select "Properties". In the "Target" for the shortcut, change the profile name from the default Unnamed Profile to "C3D".
4) Open the shortcuts in the Start Menu, and perform the same change as in 3).

This seems to make everything work better. It even keeps things from getting messed up when installing SP1 - well, most things, anyway. After installing the SP, the current profile is once again switched back to the Unnamed Profile, but the "C3D" profile still exists, and all the user has to do is set the "C3D" profile current to return to normal.

Sound about right?
Sinc
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
petrocat
in reply to: Sinc

That's what we do.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I'm using the unnamed profile and haven't experienced difficulties.
Message 4 of 7
johnbeatle

ditto
Message 5 of 7
petrocat

I'm not sure he was saying that you would have problems if you used the default. The only hiccup would come when installing SP1, which apparently would change/reset settings in the Options unless you backed up your profile.
Message 6 of 7
Sinc

Difficulties we've encountered with the Unnamed Profile:

1) We can export the Unnamed Profile, but not import it. We get an "Invalid Key" error on the import, apparently because the less-than and greater-than symbols are being parsed as some sort of tag.

2) The Unnamed Profile is clobbered when installing SP1.

There was a third issue that popped up once, also apparently because of the less-than and greater-than symbols in the profile name, but I can't recall what it was.
Sinc
Message 7 of 7
Sinc

If this is something that is supposed to be done to every installation of C3D, then it seems to me that it should be covered in the installation instructions.

C3D is the only program I've ever seen that installs incorrect shortcuts in the Start menu and on the desktop. No other program I've ever used has required me to change the default configuration and shortcuts in order to be used "properly". And then the fact that the installation instructions ignore the issue does not help. User-unfriendly "features" like this do not help the image of Civil-3D.
Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report