Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Vertices to a 3D poly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
alberto_go
3102 Views, 8 Replies

Adding Vertices to a 3D poly

I have a 3D poly about 1000' long... I need to add vertices every 25'... how can I do this efficiently? I know I can add vertices by using "Insert PI", or by making it a Feature line then adding vertcies... however, that would be way too tedious, doing it one by one... do you know another and better efficient way of adding vertices??

TIA

Alberto
C3D 2009
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
alberto_go
in reply to: alberto_go

I guess I needed to dig and try other alternatives a little more before I posted... pretty easy, just go to GRADING/Edit Feature Line Elevations/Insert Elevation Point .... and then just specifcy the increment you want the new vertices to be at....
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Alberto -

Let me ask - why do you want vertices every 25 feet on this 1000' foot
long line? Are you changing the slope of this line? Are you grading
from this line? Are you going to add this to a surface?

With the exception of the change of the slope, either grading or surface
operations have the ability to add the information for you.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM

alberto_go wrote:
> I have a 3D poly about 1000' long... I need to add vertices every 25'... how can I do this efficiently? I know I can add vertices by using "Insert PI", or by making it a Feature line then adding vertcies... however, that would be way too tedious, doing it one by one... do you know another and better efficient way of adding vertices??
>
> TIA
>
> Alberto
> C3D 2009
>
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I agree Matt. Alberto may also not know that if he needs more surface
triangulation, he can use the Supplementing Factor when adding a breakline
to a surface.

--
John Mayo, PE

Core i7 920 6GB DDR3
Radeon 4870HD 1 GB
Vista64
Message 5 of 9
alberto_go

Thank you for your response Matt and John... it's for surface creation... I know I can use the supplementing factor when adding it as a Breakline or as a Contour onto my surface; however, I need the vertices in my 3dpoly so that my GIS people can actually use it and get a representative TIN in GIS....

Honestly, we're going in some circles over here, and I'm sure there's got to be a better way of doing this... Scenario: we have a channel that we will be improving, and I need to provide a FG surface to my Water Department people so they can run their HEC-RAS analysis. The problem is that I can not provide them directly with the TIN so they can use it; we have to have the GIS guys make it a TIN first so they can use it... We've tried *.xml, *.tin (via LDD), etc, but their software won't read my TIN's, only the ones that GIS produces... I know we're doing something wrong...

I am excited that Autodesk (Lucy) will be having a Webcast this coming wednesday (9/09/09) on this issue ("From GIS to design and back to GIS")... I already set up a meeting here at my company between us (Transportation), the Water and GIS people to attend this class... I'm sure they will point out some stuff that can help us improve our process...

Alberto Gonzalez, PE
Civil 3D 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

What GIS software are they using?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM

alberto_go wrote:
> Thank you for your response Matt and John... it's for surface creation... I know I can use the supplementing factor when adding it as a Breakline or as a Contour onto my surface; however, I need the vertices in my 3dpoly so that my GIS people can actually use it and get a representative TIN in GIS....
>
> Honestly, we're going in some circles over here, and I'm sure there's got to be a better way of doing this... Scenario: we have a channel that we will be improving, and I need to provide a FG surface to my Water Department people so they can run their HEC-RAS analysis. The problem is that I can not provide them directly with the TIN so they can use it; we have to have the GIS guys make it a TIN first so they can use it... We've tried *.xml, *.tin (via LDD), etc, but their software won't read my TIN's, only the ones that GIS produces... I know we're doing something wrong...
>
> I am excited that Autodesk (Lucy) will be having a Webcast this coming wednesday (9/09/09) on this issue ("From GIS to design and back to GIS")... I already set up a meeting here at my company between us (Transportation), the Water and GIS people to attend this class... I'm sure they will point out some stuff that can help us improve our process...
>
> Alberto Gonzalez, PE
> Civil 3D 2009
> Phoenix, AZ
>
Message 7 of 9
c3dlearner

Hi,
I don't think you have to pick PI's one by one in the same polyline, try the following

Grading --> Edit Feature Line Geometry --> Insert PI

Command:
Select object or [Name]:
Specify point or [Distance/Increment]: I

Specify distance between points: 25

Specify point or [Distance/Increment]:

Regards,
C3DLearner
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Here is an idea -

Create your surface in Civil 3d, display the TIN lines, and use the
Surface - Extract from Objects from Surface to extract the 3d lines and
then submit those to the GIS system.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM

alberto_go wrote:
> Thank you for your response Matt and John... it's for surface creation... I know I can use the supplementing factor when adding it as a Breakline or as a Contour onto my surface; however, I need the vertices in my 3dpoly so that my GIS people can actually use it and get a representative TIN in GIS....
>
> Honestly, we're going in some circles over here, and I'm sure there's got to be a better way of doing this... Scenario: we have a channel that we will be improving, and I need to provide a FG surface to my Water Department people so they can run their HEC-RAS analysis. The problem is that I can not provide them directly with the TIN so they can use it; we have to have the GIS guys make it a TIN first so they can use it... We've tried *.xml, *.tin (via LDD), etc, but their software won't read my TIN's, only the ones that GIS produces... I know we're doing something wrong...
>
> I am excited that Autodesk (Lucy) will be having a Webcast this coming wednesday (9/09/09) on this issue ("From GIS to design and back to GIS")... I already set up a meeting here at my company between us (Transportation), the Water and GIS people to attend this class... I'm sure they will point out some stuff that can help us improve our process...
>
> Alberto Gonzalez, PE
> Civil 3D 2009
> Phoenix, AZ
>
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Export the surface to DEM as a geoTiff, the ESRI software can open it and
use if the GIS dept knows there stuff.

--
Murph
www.map3d.wordpress.com

"alberto_go" wrote in message news:6249417@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you for your response Matt and John... it's for surface creation... I
know I can use the supplementing factor when adding it as a Breakline or as
a Contour onto my surface; however, I need the vertices in my 3dpoly so that
my GIS people can actually use it and get a representative TIN in GIS....

Honestly, we're going in some circles over here, and I'm sure there's got to
be a better way of doing this... Scenario: we have a channel that we will be
improving, and I need to provide a FG surface to my Water Department people
so they can run their HEC-RAS analysis. The problem is that I can not
provide them directly with the TIN so they can use it; we have to have the
GIS guys make it a TIN first so they can use it... We've tried *.xml, *.tin
(via LDD), etc, but their software won't read my TIN's, only the ones that
GIS produces... I know we're doing something wrong...

I am excited that Autodesk (Lucy) will be having a Webcast this coming
wednesday (9/09/09) on this issue ("From GIS to design and back to GIS")...
I already set up a meeting here at my company between us (Transportation),
the Water and GIS people to attend this class... I'm sure they will point
out some stuff that can help us improve our process...

Alberto Gonzalez, PE
Civil 3D 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report