Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding to an existing alignment

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
z3251983
22248 Views, 17 Replies

Adding to an existing alignment

Hi all,

I know this may seem like a silly question however I was wondering if it is at all possible to add a polyline to an existing alignment? The purpose of doing so would be to extend the alignment so that I can display the proposed kerb and gutter

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: z3251983

Right click>> edit geometry and add away.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 18
z3251983

Thanks for that Joe. I am still a bit of a rookie when it comes to Civil3D

Message 4 of 18
neilyj666

Hurrah - that'll save the hassle of joining them via combining XML files.......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 18
jamesmac1200

Spoiler

After adding to the alignment, the alignment does not update. It is only sampling my existing, not the additional that was added. What do I need to do to update the alignment to reflect the added stationing?

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 6 of 18
Cadguru42
in reply to: jamesmac1200

@jamesmac1200 wrote:
Spoiler

After adding to the alignment, the alignment does not update. It is only sampling my existing, not the additional that was added. What do I need to do to update the alignment to reflect the added stationing?

The only way I've been able to get it to work is figure out where the new beginning or ending is and just grip edit the end/begin of the alignment and snap to the new point.  It's pretty easy to just add PIs and curves in the middle after that.

I never got the method mentioned earlier to work, but I haven't tried it since 2008 because of the problems I had.  

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Cadguru42

If you are talking about updating profile data you would have to resample if all you did was add to the end. In other words if the original alignment 1+00  to 3+00 and you drew new peaces to it  the profile would not update - but I do not recal that being the original question.

To keep the alignment DYNO, stretch to the new end point and do the edits inbetween

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 18
jamesmac1200

Thanks for the responses but that not exactly what I'm talking about. I've attached an example of what I'm asking for.

Alignment addition 1.pdf show the orginal alignment. Alignment additiion 2 shows the added portions. You'll notice that the alignment did not update when I added to the alignment from station 10+00. It did, however, update when I added to the end of the alignment.

I've tried updating the reference point in the alignment properties and reversing the alignment but no luck. The alignment doesn't want to include the additional section. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 9 of 18
Cadguru42

@jamesmac1200 wrote:

Thanks for the responses but that not exactly what I'm talking about. I've attached an example of what I'm asking for.

Alignment addition 1.pdf show the orginal alignment. Alignment additiion 2 shows the added portions. You'll notice that the alignment did not update when I added to the alignment from station 10+00. It did, however, update when I added to the end of the alignment.

I've tried updating the reference point in the alignment properties and reversing the alignment but no luck. The alignment doesn't want to include the additional section. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Like a couple of us have stated earlier, the best way to add to an alignment is to grip edit and drag the end/begin of the alignment to where you want it, then use the alignment editing tools to add PIs, curves and whatever to the middle of your alignment.  Doing it this way prevents the problem you have seen.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 18
jamesmac1200
in reply to: Cadguru42

Spoiler

I've figured it out, (with the help of a smart co-worker). When I added the segment at the beginning of the alignment, I inserted it in the wrong direction. As you can see in the orginal attachments, the alignment goes left to right. When I added the segment, I started at station 10+00 and went to my left. The sub-entity was reversed. That's why it wouldn't update.

In the Alignment Layout Tools, I selected Reverse Sub-entity Direction, selected the entity and the Alignment updated.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 11 of 18
Jeff_M

When adding to an alignment, the objects you are adding must be drawn in the same direction as the alignment. If you reverse the segments (not the alignment) they should then be correctly recognized.

6-28-2012 8-01-02 AM.png

For those who say to stretch the alignment and add the objects internally, I say that I've never needed to do so. Making sure to draw in the correct direction has always worked for me.

Edit -  I see the OP found this out as I was composing this message.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 12 of 18
jamesmac1200
in reply to: Jeff_M

Right on the Money! That was exactly what I was getting at. Thanks again.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 13 of 18
Kenneth_L
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hello, I am trying to perform this operation also, and can't seem to get it to work.  My problem is extremely simple: I'm merely adding a tangent line to the beginning of an alignment I already had established.  I can't seem to get Civil3D to actually update the alignment with the new segment.  When I select the new segment (or anywhere on the alignment) it all selects together as though it's part of the alignment, but the segment does not show up in the grid view table and it does not get stationed, etc. in the drawing.

I've tried reversing the segment, and that does not seem to make any difference.

What am I missing?  This is such a simple operation, it's rather frustrating that Civil3D can't seem to get it (or that I can't seem to get Civil3D in this case).

Thanks for any help you can offer

Message 14 of 18
jamesmac1200
in reply to: Kenneth_L

Good morning,

Please see attachment. I threw this together quickly to illustrate the process. I think this is what you are looking for. Just remember when you are adding segments to an existing alignment, for best practice, go in the same direction as your alignment. This is expecially important if you multiple segments, curves, etc. Just FYI, the green line in the example is just a polyline to trace over.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 15 of 18
jamesmac1200
in reply to: Kenneth_L

Sorry, here is the right attachment.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 16 of 18
Kenneth_L

Great, thank you!  I tried re-doing the line starting away from the beginning of the alignment and ending at the end of the existing alignment, like you showed, and that has done the trick.  Apparently Civil3D doesn't like it when the line is drawn the other direction, even if you later reverse the line. 

Thanks again!

Message 17 of 18

Is there a way to update the stationing when adding to the beginning of the alignment? I followed the process detailed above but it simply moved established starting station to the new beginning. I want to hold the original start station (145+649) and have the the new start point indicate (145+633) I had to manually check the distance and change the start station in the properties. 

Message 18 of 18
Strandly

Great catch, this was holding me up as well (reverse direction of the line).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report