Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding surface breaklines...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
deltacoolguy
217 Views, 2 Replies

Prospector tab / Surfaces / <surface name> / Definition / Breaklines

My initial planning is pretty extensive when creating a surface and including breaklines.  However, it's not uncommon for a little surface tweaking to happen before it's complete.  What ends up happening is that I get one or two definitions with 100s or 1000s of breaklines then end up with half a dozen definitions with 1 to 5 "stray" breaklines.

Is there a way to add new breaklines to an existing definition instead of having it create a new definition each and every time you add another breakline?

Ideally, I like to name my definitions according to purpose, but gave up on that long ago.  I tried to do a "Curb" definition, a "Top-Toe" definitions, and so on, but quit when I'd still get the 'stray' stuff.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Citadel2012
in reply to: deltacoolguy

I do not think it is possibleto edit the definition the way you would like. The only way I know to clear up the surface definition would be to use the prospector to delete all the feature lines from the drawing, then use the "oops" command to bring them all back (they will not be defined in the surface). This way, you would be able to add all of the feature lines as breaklines at once.

I find the best workaround to this is still to NOT add feature lines to a surface, and use a grading infill and grading surface to generate contours, but that is another story. The surface definition is only the grading group, and any feature lines you add within the boundary that are in the same site will affect surface triangulation, the same as if you added breaklines. 

in reply to: deltacoolguy

Only if you can join a pline/3dpline/fline to a fline already in the definition.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report