Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding soil nails / rock bolts to ground slope surface

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
garymunro4550
2723 Views, 29 Replies

Adding soil nails / rock bolts to ground slope surface

Hi all, I'm soon going to be working on an Earthworks project with Autodesk Infrastructure and I'm trying to find a method of automatically adding multiple 3d blocks (soil nails/fixing bolts) to a 3d surface (rail line cutting slope) at specific distances and angles. Unfortunately though, I've not having much success as yet. Typical example is as follows: - An existing cutting extends a certain length - say 500 metres. - The height/crest of the slope varies - say 2m to 5m high from the toe of the slope. - The angle of the slope varies - say 45-65 degrees. - From a specific start point of the slope, the nails/bolts need to be spaced at 1.0m distances up the face of the slope (not 90 degree, vertically) starting 0.5m from the toe of slope, and spaced 0.75m horizontally with every even second vertical row sitting 0.5m higher, resulting in a diamond shape arrangement. - At certain points where the nail/bolts are to be located, the angle/direction of the slope changes suddenly on the surface (e.g. small protruding rock) but the 3D bolts need to maintain a specific angle with reference to the general angle of the full slope face. I'm intending to use the lines for the toe and crest of the slope as break lines, to hopefully indicate the extent of the slope profile. The toe of the slope will also be used as the base line for the setting out of the nails/bolts. Looking forward to hearing if there can be a way of resolving this problem. ....and thanks to everyone who's looked at it. Gary.
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

I think I understand what you want, but a picture sure would help.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 30

Thanks for having a look Lisa. As the relevant incoming info will not be with us until next week sometime (hopefully) all I can show is a photograph of a similar case. For some reason, in the past I've had problem attaching files to these forums so hopefully this will go through. Gary.
Message 4 of 30

.....unfortunately no luck with that!!
Message 5 of 30

You can add all sorts of image files (if that's what you're trying to do). Take a quick screen capture, save it & attach it.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 30

For some reason it just doesn't let me attach files. I've found it with the 'browse' button, it's address is shown just below 'attachments', but when I click on 'Add Attachment', nothing happens. I'll need to check it with our IT manager.
Message 7 of 30

I'll try replying with this alternative method.
Donaldson Associates Limited. Registered in England and Wales no. 2962837. Eastfield, Church Street, Uttoxeter, ST14 8AA, United Kingdom. The information or attachments contained in this e-mail are intended only for the person or entity to which they are addressed and may contain classified, confidential or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this e mail, the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender to inform them of the error and delete the material from any computer and/or any other storage methods used.
Message 8 of 30

no, that didn't work either!
Message 9 of 30
AllenJessup
in reply to: garymunro4550

Click Add Attachment and use the Browse button to find it. Once the path is in Attacvhments box it should be set to go. Unless it's too big or the wrong type of file. What type of file are you trying to attach?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 30
AllenJessup

Another possibility is that you can embed images directly in to the post using this button:

aa.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 30
garymunro4550
in reply to: AllenJessup

The images I've tried to attach are a .jpg file (over 2MB) initially, and then a .png file (over 3MB) created from screen shot. Is there a more appropriate format it should be in?
Message 12 of 30
garymunro4550

I don't seem to get that tool bar. Our IT staff should get back to me soon.
Message 13 of 30
AllenJessup

What browser and version are you using? Also what OS is your computer running?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 30

Ok a few things to try if using IE please make sure you are not in "compatibility" mode as it is not supported.

Also make sure you are not blocking scripts from Autodesk or Addthis.com they are need for all features to work.

also please make sure you are using the latest releases of the supported browsers below (with JavaScript enabled):

Chrome
Firefox
Internet Explorer 8+
Safari

For mobile device browsing the latest popular mobile operating systems and devices with their default browsers (with JavaScript enabled):

iOS with Safari
Android with Android browser
Opera Mini
Blackberry Browser

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 15 of 30
AllenJessup

OK. Back to your original question. If I had to do this. I'd start out by setting cogo points on the surface with the points having a point style that referenced the block. However I haven't any idea of how to handle the orientation automatically.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 30
garymunro4550

Thanks for that Allen. I'm currently working with a Windows 7 Professional, Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 64-bit OS with 16 GB RAM. Internet connection is through Internet Explorer 8. All should be fine but there seems to be a problem somewhere. Hopefully IT will resolve this.
Message 17 of 30

My main concern is if the PGA's or soil nails will hit any buried utilities.  I create a pipe network for the PGA's.  Once the first one is created I can copy it based on the spacing in the wall schedule.  This procedure is used to see if we are hitting anything.

To show the PGA's in the profile view, we usually place a block (a box) at the station and elevation of each PGA.  This is faster than the pipe network method and produces better visual results.

For your application I would show the soil nails as a pipe network pipe.  Once you create the first pipe in a row, copy it based on the spacing in the schedule.

Hope this helps!Wall 1 PGA Clash.png

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 18 of 30

Cheers for that Brian. Unfortunately, the toe of the slope may constantly fall, or rise, or both. Also, as the angle of the slope varies, the setting out will regularly change, as will the distance the toe of the slope lies from the rail line. I do see where you're coming from though so thanks for that.
Message 19 of 30
joe
Contributor

i would suggest using sub-assembly composer to draw the bolts (with the appropriate targeting parameters) and add the bolts to the surface by creating a corridor from the designed sub-assembly.

Message 20 of 30
garymunro4550
in reply to: joe

Unfortunately the existing slope profile will need to be retained and will constantly vary/undulate (by probably just a small amount). Does the corridor not have to align with a specific slope profile thus the bolts will not be located in their correct required location on the existing slope?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report