Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Retaining walls to a surface

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
carlitosjr23
18727 Views, 39 Replies

Adding Retaining walls to a surface

Hi Everyone, 

I am pulling my hair out with this issue I am having...

I need to do a cut/fill analysis not residential site and this site has like 6 retaining walls there is a 6 foot difference in grade.

My surface is not recognizing the grade change when I make the polyline into a wall breakline. 

I know I am doing something wrong here but I just cannot figure it out. Please help thank you

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
palabalo
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Do you think you could send me the files also?

I will message you with my e-mail.

csevers
in reply to: carlitosjr23

Adding walls to surface from grading objects.

I have a surface I've built from grading objects. It's referenced all over the place and has labels, etc., dynamically linked to it. I'd like to add a retaining wall to my design without creating a new surface. Can someone please exaplin the workflow they would use to create a retaining wall as indicated on the attached figure? 

proposed topo-Model.pdf

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 23 of 40
Joe-Bouza

I close the fl so when I infill I don't get contours up the wall. No masking required.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 24 of 40
csevers
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I don't quite follow. The slope in that area was created from grade to surface grading criteria. How would you go about "closing the featureline"? If the surface was created from an infill of feature lines, I would understand.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 25 of 40
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: csevers

Now that the elevation at the base of the wall is know and the range along you base FL. I would divide the grading ito 3 parts

1. grade to surface @ slope and stop at the RW geometry
2. grade @ slope @ dist to the RW Geometry
3.Grade to surfac...

If you wall is paralell to the FL easy. If not you have to finesse the transition

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 26 of 40
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: csevers

This technique was suggested for infill grading with FL not in the middle of a projection.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 27 of 40
csevers

In other words, the easiest way is to redo the projection?

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 28 of 40
Joe-Bouza

Yup

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 29 of 40
Joe-Bouza

But that should not be a big deal

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 30 of 40
AutodeskBTB

Hi jmayo,

I am in the process of creating a sloping platform(s) and will be needing to model retaining walls as you explain below, if you could email me that NCs template to cgould@cybermoor.org.uk that would be a great help.

Best

Colin

Message 31 of 40
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AutodeskBTB

that template is shipped with the product in some support folder

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2014\enu\Template

most likely similar path for each version

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 32 of 40
piermattei

This issue has not been resolved. Breaking the surface into parts is really a non-starter and a waste of time

Message 33 of 40
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: piermattei

@piermattei this thread is 3-5 years old and I didn't recognize your handle in the original thread. Please give me a little more context to what your issue is.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 34 of 40
piermattei

Here are my basic steps...that I seem to repeat over and over again (On every job)

1. Create a Excavation using the Grading tool. Grade from a feature line to a surface 

2. Add a Retaining Wall to the grading, try to do this using the following steps (however this almost always fails)

A. Add a top and bottom feature line (top of wall & bottom of wall) on the same site, this results in incorrect grading Surface.

B. Use Breakline on the feature line, this helps but grading is still incorrect 

C. Swap edges (almost every edge), Time consuming, usually does not work.

Scrap all of this (except step 1)....Break surface into parts.. this works.... until client changes grading requirements, start back at step 1. May skip steps 2, since it rarely works.

Rinse...repeat forever. 

Message 35 of 40
piermattei

For those, who read this...it helps to add lots of elevation vertices to the wall feature lines. Doing this I have had more success

Thx

Message 36 of 40
piermattei

It also appear that the order that you add the feature lines and the order in which you create the breaklines has a huge effect on the results. Since there is no manual on this....good luck. Creating the bottom of wall breakline first seems to be the best bet.

Message 37 of 40
Joe-Bouza

A picture may help.

From the description of your workflow it sounds like something is off.

When you grade from a feature line to a surface and then add a retaining wall are you saying you add a feature line inside the projection? Not sure how that would ever work. 

The daylight point from the top of wall, I would think would be vastly different then the daylight point of the projection from a FL to a surface.

Assuming a cut condition; use the surface from the grading as a temp and extract the bw eleavation (FL in a different site). Then set the top, then add a daylight grading from top. Now the first projection can be trashed. move the base FL to the new site and infill the rest

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 38 of 40
piermattei

Yes, that is basically the steps I take to create a custom surface and yes it work. It is not quick and there are too many steps to update, if something changes, such as the grading requirements or the original feature line moves. It is not dynamic at all. 

Yes I was implying a feature line inside of the cut. and yes it does work. Just not all the time and not very good. 

Thanks, for the help

Message 39 of 40
Strata-CAD

Allen

would greatly appreciate checking out that file you shared... (Email:  randall@strata-design.com)

many thanks, Randy

Message 40 of 40
AllenJessup
in reply to: Strata-CAD

@Strata-CAD I believe you're asking for the file @jmayo-EE offered to share. I don't have it.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report