Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Profile Elevation

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Redli1
709 Views, 15 Replies

Adding Profile Elevation

I have a surface profile 1 and a corresponding water level profile 1 of a flood plain. Now I get an updated surface profile 2 and the engineer ask me to ajust the water level according to the difference of surface level 1 and 2. 

How can I add a irregular distance (water depth)  to surface profile 1?

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
troma
in reply to: Redli1

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do.  Does copying the surface help?  Then you can raise or lower the copy by the necessary amount and add that surface profile to the profile view.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 16
Redli1
in reply to: troma

At each station the delta (suface profile 1 - surface profile 2) is different. I have to adjust the water level profile according to this delta

Message 4 of 16
fcernst

Do you know SAC?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 16
Redli1
in reply to: fcernst

so far I don not have a corridor. why should a make one?

Message 6 of 16
fcernst

I can quickly kick out your required adjusted profie and floodplain delineation all in one shot. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 16
Redli1

I hope somebody else can help me?

Message 8 of 16
fcernst

Oh ok if you don't have time to explore that,  you can just post the drawing with the profiles and I can do that for you real quick, no charge.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 16
troma

Is your water level profile from a surface too?

If you do a volume surface between Surface1 & Surface2, this will give you the difference between them at every station.  You could then paste that volume surface into a regular surface, and do another volume surface between that and the water surface.  This will add the difference between the first two onto the water surface.  But you will have to figure out which one is Base and which one is Comparison in each case.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 16
fcernst

So many good options out there...

Here's another one:

You can always output the profiles to XML and quickly get the data to crank on in Excel. Then bring it back with XML:

<Profile name="Main RD">
<ProfAlign name="Main-FGCL">
<PVI>0.507625059359 2506.</PVI>
<PVI>582.340948472239 2523.219164741822</PVI>
<PVI>1511.652753557886 2507.38066067943</PVI>
</ProfAlign>
</Profile>

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 16
Redli1
in reply to: troma

No, I created the water profile from a text file.

I was thinking to export all 3 profile to excel, calculate (Water Level - Surface Profile 1 + Surface Profile 2) and import the result as profile into C3D. Unfortunately the three profile does not have the same vertice for the caluculation in Excel

Message 12 of 16
fcernst

Oh, that's easy. You just set up your spreadsheet to calc grades between PVI's and interpolate elevations for any needed vertex. 

Your engineer should be able to quickly handle that in Excel if you supply him/her with the data. Then you can put the resultant profile they produce in Excel, into CAD.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 16
Redli1

Sorry fcernst I do not understand terms like kick out profiles of crank on data.

Neither with xml export or with incremental stationing report I get vertices at the same station for the different profiles which is necessary for calculation in Excel

Message 14 of 16
Redli1

One profile has 630 and the other 840 PVIs at differnt stations!

Message 15 of 16
fcernst

Oh ok. That's just a little friendly calculation slang for getting things done here 🙂  Hi there, what country are you from?

Again, you don't need to have every PVI match at first!

Pick a base control profile for your convention... I'm guessing it would be the water surface profile for your case.

So, you have to interpolate elevations for the Water Surface PVI stationing on the other two surface profiles because they may not have those PVI stations. Then you can compute your equation above as you stated for the resultant profile.

This can all be easily done simultaneously in Excel.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 16
troma

If you're more comfortable working in C3D than Excel, there is still a way to use my suggestion.  First you have to make a corridor from your water level profile.  Make it flat and narrow, just wide enough to be useful.

Then you can make a surface from the corridor, and proceed to use the volume surfaces method I described.  Finish off by making a surface profile of the new water level surface.

The one advantage of doing it inside Civil 3D is that it will be dynamic.  If you update surface1 or surface2 or the exisitng water surface, in all cases the new water level surface will update according to the calculations built in.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report