Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a vertical curve to a previously created design profile

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Nikki101
3344 Views, 12 Replies

Adding a vertical curve to a previously created design profile

Hi all,

I have a profile that I created to build a road corridor.  I created the profile quickly in the preliminary stages of the road design, and to speed up the p[rocess I left out vertical curves.  Now I am finishing the construction drawings and I need to add some vertical curves to the existing design profile.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Please see the image of the existing design profile. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Nikki101
in reply to: Nikki101

One thing I just noticed... There is no Update Mode assigned to the profile and I can't change this...  Any ideas? See attached..

Message 3 of 13
Nikki101

This is the Standard properties dialog box for the same profile - showing that the profile is a Layout Profile with "static" update mode

Message 4 of 13
ccoles

Right click on the profile line and select 'Edit Geometry'. The profile geometry toolbar will open and allow you to edit the profile however you need, including adding PVIs and curves.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 13
Nikki101
in reply to: ccoles

But when I add the curve, it also maitains the existing "straight" segments of the profile... see attached pic.

Message 6 of 13
ccoles

Those are the line extensions to the PVI. You can turn those off if you go to the profile style you are using, click on the display tab, and click to turn off the display of the extension lines. We show the extension lines in our standard, but they are lite with a hidden linetype so they are not confused with the heavy profile line that follows the curve.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 7 of 13
Nikki101

Does it make sense to add PVIs to the end of the added curve and then break apart the straight portions in the location of the new curve?

Message 8 of 13
Nikki101

They are not the line extensions.  We generally show those as well, and our style also shows them.  However that only seems to work when I add the curves during the initial profile creation.  See the attached pic and you will see that when I move the center PVI (as I would in a normal situation) the Curve is detached from the profile... (Note: to save confusion - the dashed line you see in the view is my existing ground profile which is also show in the same profile view.. it is not part of the red design profile)

Message 9 of 13
mathewkol

That looks like a fixed curve. The curve you need to add needs to be a free curve.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 13
ccoles

It must be how you are creating the vert. curve. I use the PVI-based parabolic vertical curve under the other curves selection. This allows for a vertical curve that stays dynamic to the PVI. I think the decision from Autodesk to bury this tool was an asinine one.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 11 of 13
Nikki101

Thanks Guys.  That was the issue. I also used the free parabolic vertical (PVI-based) curve and it did exactly what I was looking for.  That is frustrating that they buried this curve option in the last place a normal person would look...  Or maybe I am not normal... Thanks none the less.

Message 12 of 13
mathewkol

So you know, it doesn't need to be the buried PVI tool. As long as it's the free vertical curve, it'll be fine.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 13 of 13
Nikki101
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt.  I have been experimenting a little with the various profile curve tools today and you were bang on when saying my issue was using using the fixed curve vs. the free/floating curve..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report