Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add entry point to retention pond

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rvandever21
7315 Views, 12 Replies

Add entry point to retention pond

I am trying to add an entry point to a retention pond that was created by grading tools.  I will to entry point to be shaped like a trapezoid.  I also want to grade a entry point to the slope of pond to control water erosion. 

Please help me.  I have been trying to add the entry point for days. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
troma
in reply to: rvandever21

What have you tried?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 13
rvandever21
in reply to: troma

I have tried to create breaklines in the surface but there are problems with the elevations of the breakline. I tried using the grading tools but it didn't blend into the existing surface.

Message 4 of 13
troma

Try adding breaklines as 'non-destructive'. This doesn't affect the surface at all, but it will allow you to edit on one side of the breakline without changing anything on the other side.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 13

Use feature lines with the desired elevations assigned to them, then add those as breaklines to the retention pond surface.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 13
Joe-Bouza

is the a site issue with the FL's?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 13

I have found it easy in the past to build my ramp in another dwg, dref the resultant surface to the pond, and paste them together. This avoids your FL's fighting with each other.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 13

How do I create a feature line with multiple elevations?

Message 9 of 13

Click on the feature line, right-click, select Elevation editor.  You can add elevation points from the panorama, or use the contextual ribbon.

Todd Rogers
Message 10 of 13
rvandever21
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

No there is no site issue.  I add a create a feature line then add the breakline into the pond surface.  The pond was created using the grading tools. 

Message 11 of 13
rvandever21
in reply to: troma

How do I create a feature line that is non-destructive?

Message 12 of 13
dgordon

if the pond was created using grading tools, i'm guessing that the top edge of the pond is defined in the surface with a breakline. this breakline would need to be broken in the area the the entry is being added to so as to allow the surface to be modified. Well i guess it wouldn't need to be broken. If the new feature line is on the same site as the old one then the new feature line would make the old line bend to the new elevations. But this might not give the results you're looking for. elevation points may need to be added outside the lines that are causing the depression to control how far away from the depression the original featureline would need to bend. I hope that wasn't too confusing 🙂
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 13 of 13
troma

It's not a featureline, it's a surface breakline.
I would just use a 2d polyline for this purpose. When you add it to the surface as a breakline, you can select the 'non-destructive' option.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report