Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Viewport boundary highlight is offset

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
coopdetat
1496 Views, 14 Replies

Active Viewport boundary highlight is offset

I've been putting up with this problem for a while. I have a certified 3D device with a driver version that is certified (Quadro 4000) but the active viewport boundary highlight is out of place. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution to this problem? The white lines in this image are my viewport boundary highlight which is out of position.  This only seems to happen when I turn off the viewport layer. If the viewport layer is on the highlight appears as expected.

vpframe.gif

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: coopdetat

How is it out of position?  By the picture you attached, I don't see anything wrong.  Do you want you viewport larger? Not enough information here to diagnose the issue.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 15
coopdetat
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

As soon as I looked at the image again in light of your reply I immediately saw it as you did.  I apologize for not making the situation clearer in my initial post.

Notice from the extent of the crosshairs and the position of the UCS Icon, both of which are to the left of the viewport highlight, that the viewport and the highlight do not match.  As I said, the viewport layer is turned off so you cannot see the viewport itself.  You can only see the highlight.  The actual viewport boundary is set at 0.05" inside the sheet border lines all around. It is cropped to a polyline that traces a notch for the revision block on the border sheet (not shown).  Only the lower left corner of the viewport is in the image.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
Message 4 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM

OOOOOhhhhh.  Now I see what you're talking about.  WOW, I have NEVER seen anything like this.  Drawing specific?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 15
rkmcswain

What are you calling the "active viewport boundary highlight"?

If I freeze my viewport layer (which I normally don't since it's on a no-plot layer) then there is no geometry to indicate where any viewports are. 

In the screenshot below, you can see my cursor cut off at the top, before it reaches the magenta border line - since that is where the viewport stops.

vp9.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 15
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hey Randy.  If you look at the guys pic, you can see that the active viewport is way off of where the actual viewport cuts off.  The crosshairs indicate that the border of the sheet is the viewport, but the active part is not near that. 

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 15

Unless there might be a viewport on top of a viewport.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 15
troma

I don't normally freeze or turn off the viewport layer either, but I just tested (in 2011) and I'm getting a different result from RKMcS.  I don't get a thick highlight, but I do get a box around the viewport.  So you don't see any viewport when you're in paperspace, then you click into model space and it appears.  It is drawn the same colour as you have the crosshairs set to.

I'm not seeing the 'offset' problem the OP has either.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 15
troma
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Ctrl + R switches viewports.  That's got me out of a couple of issues with one on top of another.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 15
coopdetat

Hi R.K.,

I don't freeze the viewport layer, I just turn it off. Mine too are on a non-plot layer (CLG *NPLT*) which is used in my on/off macro.  I turn them off because I just don't like seeing anything that is not intended as plot output.  In the layer off condition, when I am in the viewport model space, AutoCAD presents a bold outline of the viewport (those white lines in my IP image) to indicate the view I am in. The highlighting is displayed when the viewport layer is turned on as well so off/on does not affect the highlighting.  The highlighting is helpful when there are multiple viewports, especially if they overlap.  I use CTRL+R to cycle through the active viewports on a layout when one is nested inside another which happens when I do a blow-up detail on a pipeline plan.  The highlight shows which is current.

In constructing and checking this explanation I realized that the problem happens only when the viewport layer is off and the viewport is clipped (has a polygonal boundary).  The problem boundary is orthogonal but it has 6 sides (a notch in the upper right corner).  It happens on all of my sheet layouts with that type of viewport.

Here is an example of the highlighting with model space above and paper space below, viewport layer is on in both images and there is a slight overlap of another viewport to the right:

VPHighlight.gif

I believe the highlight color always matches the viewport layer color.

Message 11 of 15
coopdetat
in reply to: troma

Hi troma,

would you try a clipped viewport with the viewport layer off please?  That seems to be the condition that is required for me to replicate the problem.  I would like to see if you can produce the same result.

Message 12 of 15
troma

Clipped is a problem apparently.  Most of my viewports are clipped, but I tested last time in the default 'Layout 1' because I didn't have any set up.  This time I had two viewports, one clipped, one standard, and used Ctrl+R to toggle back & forth.  Standard viewport shows a border the same colour as paperspace crosshairs, clipped viewport shows no border at all.

So I can't replicate what you're seeing, but there is an issue here.

Again, I'm  in 2011, so I'm sure something's changed since.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 15
SurveyorLee

I have noticed one thing about overlapping viewports and this may be your trouble.  The bigger view port is almost allways the one gets selected.  Have you tried to see if your active viewport is actually the smaller one.  To get the viewports to react as would be expected, I have started to clip all of them so there is very little overlap. That has fixed my issues.  It takes a little longer, but I do a Clip and select polygon.

Surveyor Lee

Message 14 of 15
coopdetat
in reply to: SurveyorLee

In the case of my IP (and most of my layouts with the majority of this problem) there is only the one viewport.

Message 15 of 15
hencoop

Hi all,

It has been a while and I hit my annoyance level again with this so I thought I would revisit it.

I took some screen shots of the condition at two zoom factors and with the VP layer both on and off for each zoom factor. The white lines that form a corner are the viewport highlight lines on the images with the viewport layer turned off. The viewport is clipped to notch out space for the revision block on our sheets (upper right - not shown on the screen shots).

Does anyone have any more understanding of this problem?

Zoom-1 VP Layer On.jpg  Zoom-1 VP Layer Off.jpgZoom-2 VP Layer On.jpg  Zoom-2 VP Layer Off.jpg

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report