Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
sheriff12
203 Views, 6 Replies

Accessing files

I installed Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 three days ago. The first day I used the program I had no problem accessing the files. I would just click the OPEN> Drawings Files and the folder would open. Now, for some reason unknown to me, when I click OPEN> Drawings, I am instructed to type in the file name on the command line. When I type in a file name, no matter which file I type in, I am told the file doesn't exist. Did I inadvertently click some instruction telling the program to access the files in this manner? Because I can no longer access my file folder by clicking OPEN>DRAWINGS and typing in the file I am looking for doesn't work. My O/S is Windows 7 Ultimate.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
troma
in reply to: sheriff12

FILEDIA
Set it to 1
It gets reset to 0 sometimes when you crash, or who knows what.

You can also type a ~ at the commandline when requested for a drawing name, and the dialogue box pops up.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 7
sheriff12
in reply to: troma

I didn't even get a chance to try your suggestion. I installed the latest HOT FIX, and now nothing works in AutoCAD Ciliv 3D 2014.

Message 4 of 7
antoniovinci

sheriff12 wrote:

now nothing works in AutoCAD Ciliv 3D 2014

Wait, wait, wait: what happens if you double click on a DWG file in Windows Explorer, upon not running Autocad?

Message 5 of 7
sheriff12
in reply to: antoniovinci

It wasn't your suggestion that is making AutoCAD Civil 3D freeze up. I installed the latest HOT FIX from Autodesk before I tried your solution. Now, after starting AutoCAD Civil 3D, it immediately freezes and refuses to work at all as soon as I click the file folder. The program doesn't respond at all, and I have to restart my computer, just to get it off the screen. I'm not even getting the message that AutoCAD Civil 3D is "not responding". It just stops working. The latest HOT FIX from Autodesk was supposed to address all of these problems, but instead have made the situation worse than it was.

Message 6 of 7
Jay_B

Try uninstalling the Hotfix per these instructions.

Verify FILEDIA is set to 1 and then reinstall the Hotfix and see if that helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
sheriff12
in reply to: Jay_B

I just started AutoCAD Civil 3D after going to my control panel and setting the instructions to repair the program. It said after running that everything was repaired. Well, that's not true apparently, because now I can't access my files or even get a command line. It looks as though I my have to completely uninstall and reinstall the entire program again. Unless you have another remedy. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far but, I don't see any other solution but to reinstall the program. It is becoming very frustrating and time consuming. One other thing, when I click the file folder, the program completely freezes up and I have to restart my computer just to get rid of AutoCAD Civil 3D. The close button or "X" at the top right won't even light up so I can close the program. All I get is that irritating "DING" sound.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report