Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD Civil 3D 2014 - Drawing Surface; feature lines to breaklines

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jbteal
509 Views, 7 Replies

ACAD Civil 3D 2014 - Drawing Surface; feature lines to breaklines

I am trying to build a proposed surface and an existing surface in the same area. I drew the area as a polyline, created feature lines from the polylines, edited the elevations of the feature lines, and added the feature lines to the surfaces as breaklines. I created the existing surface first. Beginning the process for the proposed surface, when I changed the elevation of the new feature line I added on top of the other one, the existing surface changed. How can I draw two surfaces on top of each other without affecting the other?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: jbteal

It sounds like it may be that you have everythig in the same SITE?

If you don't want the Proposed Surface entities reacting with the Existing Surface entities, keep them in 2 separate SITES.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
jbteal
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay_B wrote: 

If you don't want the Proposed Surface entities reacting with the Existing Surface entities, keep them in 2 separate SITES.

Are you refering to different drawings being xref'd in? My end goal is to find volumes between the two. Will that work if they are xref's?

Message 4 of 8
Jay_B

No, nothing to do with Xref's.

If the Feature Lines for the proposed and existing surfaces belong to the same site they could be causing conflicts with each other.

See Sites and Site Charactersitics for more information.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 8
AllenJessup

@jbteal wrote:

Beginning the process for the proposed surface, when I changed the elevation of the new feature line I added on top of the other one, the existing surface changed.

In the step above. How did you create the "new" feature lines?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
jbteal
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

In the step above. How did you create the "new" feature lines?

After I had finished the "existing" surface completely, I drew a polyline on the same boundary with the verticies at the locations of the proposed elevations. I then converted that Pline to a feature line using "Feature Line from Objects". I then began editing the elevations at each vertex and that is when the "existing" surface began changing. 

Message 7 of 8
Jay_B

Create a New Site and using the "Move to Site" command, move all Feature Lines for the Existing or Proposed to the new Site.

Keep the Proposed and Existing in different Sites by first creating another site.

Toolspace > Prospector > Right on click Sites > New >

Then use Move to Site.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

You've correctly selected the answer. I just wanted to be sure that you hadn't started by copying the existing featurelines. That can cause some strange results.

While drawing Polylines first isn't incorrect. Drawing featurelines at elevation will save you quite a few steps.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report