Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 or 32

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Joe-Bouza
519 Views, 16 Replies

64 or 32

I know the answer. Im doing my due diligence. Are there any pitfalls going to 64 bit I should be concerned with? Other app not working etc. I'm not worried about office app only ACAD.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe -

A couple of issues - 1)  WIndows 7  64-bit requires a few workarounds for the GIS side of C3D/Map3D as AD wrote the software around the ODBC drivers native to XP (referenced as "ACE" vs "Jet-Direct")  Some annoyances, but still functional.

2)  My database software for recording client contacts only works in 32-bit - I"m running a XP Virtual Machine within WIn7 and haven't had any problems of note.

So, I"d definitely go for a version (Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate) of Win7 that will permit you to run a virtual machine - it's free for those levels of OS, but won't run on a "home" version....

Otherwise, my colleague and I are extremely pleased with the performance we're seeing with our "new" machines over when we were using XP.

My box is a I7-920 2.66Ghz with 6GB ram - @Xi is the manufacturer - it's a "gamer's box" and is running a NVidea 480m card.... but graphics is another issue 😉

Message 3 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Thanks Todd. So you thumbs up the 64bit

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Let me put it this way - we're upgrading our 10 classroom machines as we're finding that 2011 puts us at the end of life for XP.  the 64-bit memory management is becoming a must and not just a nicety for us to function....

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

ps. not that you can't get 64-bit xp, but Win7 has been working great for me for the last 14 months.  Haven't regretted it since.

I've built a surface of 54 USGS 24k quad maps for the mountains around Lake DIllon CO - 8,000 to 14,000 elevation range and it would have driven my xp box to its knees on the 2nd or 3rd quad.....

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

I use a new I7-940 2.66Ghz with 16GB ram with Win 7 installed and C3D2011.

The 64 version combined with a high RAM capacity helps tremendously for design works.

Even if C3D is not that much faster under 940 than under my previous processor, the BIG advantage is the possibility to open several sessions of 3CD thanks to the RAM (32bit OS can't access more than 3GB).

I have 2 main sessions opened, when one is calculating, I work on editing another project. In each main session, I can open several files, typically one file for the surface DTM, one for the alignment, one for the profile and one for the corridor, all linked with shortcuts.

No more endless waiting for drawing regeneration, corridor calculation, material computation etc...

On the other hand, I clearly experience a few reccurent problems with the 64bit OS for other simple applications like Internet browsers, touchpad drivers, Google Earth or things like that (ArcGis and Office are fine).

Message 7 of 17
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

On the other hand, I clearly experience a few reccurent problems with the 64bit OS for other simple applications like Internet browsers, touchpad drivers, Google Earth or things like that (ArcGis and Office are fine).

What problems?  I have not had any issues with internet browsers or Google Earth.  (I don't use a touchpad.)

Sinc
Message 8 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Sounds as promising as I suspected. What are the Map3d proplems?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
AllenJessup

64 bit Joe. Definitely 64 bit. You know of the few problems with drivers for older equipment. But I haven't had any I couldn't surmount. I'm well pleased with it.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Since MS changed the drivers that AD wrote their code around, drag & drop a database into map explorer no longer works - more manual configuration steps.

Also, I confess that I forgot about printing issues - I don't have a large format printer as I'm at an ATC.  BUT IT'S REALLY ANNOYING THAT I HAVE A FUNCTIONAL COLOR LASER JET (HP) THAT DOESN'T HAVE A 64-BIT DRIVER  - so I can't print to it from my own machine 😞

I'd be happy to chat off-line more with you if you send a note to toddh_at_ctcivil_dot_com - but make it quick as greener pastures are calling.....

Message 11 of 17
AllenJessup

I don't know what you've tried to get you printer to work. But I've found that drivers from XP 64 or Vista 64 often work well in Windows 7 64.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
jmayo-EE

I would not even consider 32 bit. There may be a few workarounds required for devices that don't have 64 bit drivers. Check your plotters and other mission critical devices and apps.

When you set up win 7 you have the option of doing a daul boot install if XP is on the PC. Google this. Get a new HD and use it for the win 7 setup alone. Keep xp set up on the other HD. Any issues that can't be solved in win 7 can be addressed by booting to xp. The only issue we have is our old survey reduction app. Everything else is better.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I don't think they will afford methe luxury of a secong HD, but thanks for the info. The only outside app I have to worry about are for SSM.

I'm happy to see this day come. I'll still only have 3 GB of ram will that be an issue? I may even purchase my own if it meand the diff between OK and Excellent.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I can tell you I'm doing OK with 4 GB. But I'm thinking of buying some more myself. The more the merrier.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Well XP32 can already manage 3Gb with the special switch on, but not more.

For me the real advantage of 64 is its access to more than 3Gb to work on several files at the same time.

So if you keep your 3Gb, do not expect the same revolution in your daily work...

forgot to mention: some drivers from Trimble are not yet available in 64. Download from the Base GPS to your PC needs you to transfer first from the Base to the controler and then to your PC.

as for Google earth, it stops frequently but this is with version 5.2.1.1588 downloaded last Septembre. I see that a new version is available, hope it fixes the problem. Firefox also stops from time to time, especially with the download page opened. Again this was version 6.10 and they moved to 6.13 in 4 months.

Message 16 of 17
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

as for Google earth, it stops frequently but this is with version 5.2.1.1588 downloaded last Septembre. I see that a new version is available, hope it fixes the problem. Firefox also stops from time to time, especially with the download page opened. Again this was version 6.10 and they moved to 6.13 in 4 months.

Not sure why you're seeing these issues, but they aren't related to the 64-bit OS.  I'm still running that same version of Google Earth and don't have issues with it "stopping".  I also used that version of Firefox when it was current, and likewise had no issues.

And Joe, you should notice a difference with Win 7 x64, especially on C3D 2011, even if you only have 3GB of RAM.  You no longer have the 2-3 GB virtual address space limitation of the 32-bit OS and application.  With only 3GB of RAM, you may have excessive swapping limit how far you can push things, but you should be able to do things you can't do on a 32-bit OS.  And memory management is better in general, so you should see better overall stability.  It would be better to have more RAM in there, but you should still see a benefit.

Sinc
Message 17 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

Yes to what Sinc and Allen said.

🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report