Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D views of piping

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
civman_daar
219 Views, 3 Replies

3D views of piping

C3D 2014 SP1

Win7 Pro

I want to be able to orbit and pan beneath a surface to see the relationship of pipes and structures to the surface.  Its as though you were looking up at the ceiling in a room.  Using orbit is limited because it flips the surface over (upside down), when trying to view the underside of a surface.  Any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
castled071049
in reply to: civman_daar

I use 3D Orbit all the time for this, and it always shows me the view of the surface from beneath, as if looking up at it like at a ceiling. Not sure what is causing your problem. 

Message 3 of 4

I find it helpful to use transparency when viewing pipes and surfaces with Orbit. Set the transparency value of the layer used for the triangles component of the surface style. This allows you to see the pipes and structures from above and below the surface.

The following image shows the proposed triangle layer with a transparency value of 30.

TransparentSurface.jpg

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 4 of 4

I suspect the OP's problem possibly lies within his surface style triangle colour.

The triangles will display darker on the underside when viewed from beneath so you can see the difference between top and bottom. If your triangle colour is already dark (ie close to the screen colour) then it may be difficult to differenciate between the background and the surface.

If you really want to look at the model differently in this way then you should consider exporting a DWFx or Nwc file and having a pog in Navisworks. You have more control over the orbit function and also the walk function allows you to travel around just under the surface and clips the surface from display as you go.

David I prefer the Xray view style as it does the same thing without having transparency which can sometimes reduce speed etc.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report