Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Printing a site.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dla4y4
867 Views, 6 Replies

3d Printing a site.

I want to print off a site using a makerbot that contains some retaining walls as a present for our client. I was hoping to use 123D to print it off to a makerbot, but I have been unable to load a drawing in it. I am curious if anybody has tried to 3d print a site, and if so what tricks you have used. I am currently trying to make a solid from a surface and see if that will export.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: dla4y4

You should look for a stereolithography service in your town, then give them a .STL version of that site.

To create a .STL file, you can use the _STLOUT command (it works on solids and watertight surfaces).

If somehow you cannot, try to create the .STL file by means of the italian opensource Meshlab.

Message 3 of 7
dla4y4
in reply to: antoniovinci

I am hoping to do this by myself for the most part. I have access to a Fab Lab here in Tulsa, with a few 3D printers and such.

What I have now is a surface, as in contours turned into a surface. None of the stuff I have read have been for doing what basically amounts to a site layout. I spent some time last night trying to get it ready to be exported, but nothing worked out too well. I am unsure of how to make a solid of a surface

Message 4 of 7
AllenJessup

Try Convert a Civil 3D Tin Surface to AutoCAD Solid.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
NathanBee

If you do get it to work, could you please post some images of the finished product here please? Cat Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: NathanBee

I second that

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
dla4y4
in reply to: AllenJessup

This was the step I needed. Was able to turn into a solid. Will take me a while to work on it from there, but it can import into 123D now I think. And I will post an update once I figure this all out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report