Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D POND

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Davmt
352 Views, 8 Replies

3D POND

I have a pond to be filled in that has the contour lines drawn with 2D polylines at different elevations and I need to get the total fill for the pond, does anyone know of a way to do this easily? I have a copy of the drawing attached if it helps. Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Davmt

1. Please don't attach files to posts in this group. 2. You're probably asking about LDT and surfaces, so you might be in the wrong group, this is for Civil3D 3. The FASTEST way is to pull the areas of each pline, and do a volume from geometry, ignoring the surface information entirely.The formula is: 1/3 h (a1+a2+SQRT(a1a2)) where h is the interval between sections (in this case, 1) and a1 and a2 represent the areas of each pline. Two minutes in Excel, and you'll have a groovy spreadsheet you can use again. Just add up each 1' interval and go on your way. HTH! -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hi James and all - Just for everyone's knowledge, the discussion group guidelines now allow attachments in every group up to 1 meg. Zipping files is always appreciated. -- Anne Brown Discussion Groups Administrator Autodesk, Inc. James Wedding wrote: > > 1. Please don't attach files to posts in this group. (snip)
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

The rules are the rules...but I still don't like attachments...slows the whole thing down. Oh well. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

"James Wedding" wrote in message news:4059bbed_2@newsprd01... > Excel, and you'll have a groovy spreadsheet you can use again. Groovy James.. Groovy Sorry, couldn't resist. (believe me, I tried)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Or define a pond from contours and list it's properties (in Cu. Ft.) You will need a pline at the highest and lowest elevation to be accurate. The groovy spreadsheet is like, totally rad. -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator James Wedding wrote: > 1. Please don't attach files to posts in this group. > 2. You're probably asking about LDT and surfaces, so you might be in the > wrong group, this is for Civil3D > 3. The FASTEST way is to pull the areas of each pline, and do a volume from > geometry, ignoring the surface information entirely.The formula is: > > 1/3 h (a1+a2+SQRT(a1a2)) where h is the interval between sections (in this > case, 1) and a1 and a2 represent the areas of each pline. Two minutes in > Excel, and you'll have a groovy spreadsheet you can use again. > > Just add up each 1' interval and go on your way. > HTH!
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Anne, The change is rules is a disaster for all those not on high speed connections. The situation is not helped by users have a total lack of knowledge of small file types. On my Outlook Express browser the file size for this file shows as 232Kb. From the description of the problem in the replies, all that would be necessary to describe this data could be contained in a drawing file of the order of 20 to 30 Kb, a DWF file which would be much smaller and/or a PNG file which would be of the order of 2 to 5Kb. As far as I am concerned, if I get time to hit the "Stop" button before a message has downloaded, I will. Unless I find something particularly attractive in the subject it will never be read. Posting to the wrong NG seems to have increased significantly over the last few months. How you cope with that I don't know, but from the experience of the time it took to rename the old Land Desktop NG, I do not expect a resolution of that in the near future. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Anne Brown" wrote in message news:4059BEBF.4FE1434E@autodesk.com... > Hi James and all - > > Just for everyone's knowledge, the discussion group guidelines > now allow attachments in every group up to 1 meg. Zipping files > is always appreciated. > > -- > Anne Brown > Discussion Groups Administrator > Autodesk, Inc. > > > James Wedding wrote: > > > > 1. Please don't attach files to posts in this group. (snip)
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Are ya done yet? Just cause I'm not old like the rest of the Survey dinosaurs in here... geesh, a little levity and you get hammered. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 9 of 9
Davmt

Gee, Thanks everyone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report