Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d polylines

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Seth04
1278 Views, 8 Replies

3d polylines

I would like to know if it is possible to create a 3d polyline using cogo points without drawing a new polyline from point to point. In the past I used software that would allow me to put a cogo point with elevation along existing lines and arcs and convert them to 3d polylines. I am a Land Surveyor and I used this function frequently in the past to while creating stakeout files to avoid manually calculating grade along lines.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Seth04

Certainly.

Home Tab>Draw Panel:

PolylinebyPtNumRange.png

When prompted for a range, enter your point numbers.  A few examples:

1-100 (This will draw polyline though all the points in this range).

1-10, 20-100 (this will SKIP points 11-19)

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Also -- if you are wanting to SELECT the points (as opposed to typing in the range) then use "Create by Point Object" which is right below the point range option.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 9
Postmaster_G

You can type in the following for cogo points 11-35 for example...

3DPOLY [enter]

'PN [enter]

11-35 [enter]

esc [enter]

Hope that helps

G

-Meow
Message 5 of 9
Seth04
in reply to: doni49

Thank you for your response. However that does not do exactaly what I am looking for. I have attached an image to help explain what I am looking to do. I can calulate each point that says "Grade Needed" but on a large project it can become very time consuming and lead to mistakes. What I am looking to do is create a Cogo point with elevation on each of the grades labeled in Red. I should then have the ability to change the existing line into a 3d polyline from the Cogo points I created. I should then be able to come back and pick a Cogo point on the polyline where it is labeled "Grade Needed". The grade should be automatically interpolated. I often get large construction staking jobs that require me to create a grade at each corner or pc and pt of curves. The ability to create a 3d polyline quickly is very helpful.

Message 6 of 9
sjg
Advisor

I would suggest using feature lines, you can create a feature line and interpolate vertices between known elevations. There is a lot more functionality with featurelines than 3d polys.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 7 of 9
Seth04
in reply to: sjg

Feature lines seem to be the way to go. I am able to create them from my existing polylines which is great but I am having a little trouble assinging elevations. Using the same example from an earlier qeustion, my thought process is I should be able to use the Quick elevation edit in the feature line editor and assing elevations at all of the know points,labeled in red. However when I try this I am able to pick a first point and assing the first elevation then I am ask for a site or reference point, I have used reference point and picked the next point. I then enter E for elevation and it creates an elevation at that particular station. It does not interpolate the elvation for the stations before so I am left with elvations at my known points and 0 elevations at the points I need to be interpolated.

Message 8 of 9
Citadel2012

I think you need to use the "Set grade/slope between two points," where you can select points on either side of an unknown and tell the feature line to interpolate the unknown elevation.

setgrade.png

1. if you choose to create from existing poly line >> make a surface from you points >> FL elevations from Surface.

2. or draw the FL using transparent tool bar through the cogo points like you did with the poly line.

Now make a feature line lable style that shows the grade along the segments. No guessing

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report