Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

3d polylines -> feature lines

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
lambertb
640 Views, 6 Replies

3d polylines -> feature lines

Has anyone imported 5,000 3d polylines to features? ...And then imported them into a surface as breaklines? My computer keeps crashing. I also need to import a few thousand points from blocks into the surface.

3-6-2013 10-57-29 AM.jpg

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gccdaemon
in reply to: lambertb

I've done this before with Lidar information and it takes a while, but i would say with only 8 gigs of ram, you're going to run into problems. If you were to explode the Polylines into Lines and import that way, it should work a little easier. I did that with 3D triangles and had over 150K lines and it worked.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 7
lambertb
in reply to: gccdaemon

Thanks I will try as lines. Also the polyline have many vertices so I will find out the number of lines.

And I magically updated my computer, hopefully the 16 GB of ram helps.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

I definitely recommend the ram if you work with large datasets. In the meantime here are more options to try if needed.

If the 3dpolys have a large number vertices try using the weed command on them before adding to the surface.

Do you have crossing breaklines? I would think a large number could take some processing power but you could configure the surface to ignore crossing breaklines as per the attachment.

If you have both running Mapclean on the 3dpolys to weed and break the crossings. If you then make the 3dpolys feature lines the crossings will have a single elevation vs two or more.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
BrianHailey

First of all, yes. You can see it HERE with 10,000 feature lines (really simple featurelines I might add so that's why I did 10,000). This was recorded real time with no editing so you'll see how long it took (entire video is less then 5 minutes).

Second of all, why do they need to be featurelines? Just add the 3D polylines to your surface as breaklines. No need to convert them to featurelines. I LOVE feature lines! Can't get enough of them but, if I have existing ground data that I'm not going to be editing, there's no reason for it to add all the extra baggage to a drawing that comes with adding 5,000 objects to a site.

Additionally, when you go to add your points to your surface, don't convert them to C3D points, again, there is no need to. Simply add them directly to the surface as drawing objects and then select Blocks as the object type. When you do that, you'll need to make sure your blocks are at the correct elevation. If they aren't, there is a command MOVEBLOCKSTOATTRIBELEV which will move your blocks to the elevation of one of the attributes of the block.

Good luck!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
lambertb
in reply to: BrianHailey

That's the trick. If you don't need to edit, just import:) Thanks. ANd when it comes time for making feature lines, I may be back.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

"Second of all, why do they need to be featurelines?"

As I said, convert to FL's only to correct breakline crossings if one needs. This cannot be done with 3dpolys. I also provided the option of ignoring the crossings and conversion process. The user must decide from the data provided if crossings need to be corrrected.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report