Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D flaw with points???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
75 Views, 2 Replies

3D flaw with points???

We discovered on some of our drawings that if we only freeze our pnts layer, then small blips always show up at the point locations only when you plot (you can't see them in model space). Was very frustrating until we figured it out, yet if the layers are turned OFF, then no problem - they are invisible with plotting as they should be.

Anyone else found this problem? Rather a pain since I use layer off as more a temporary condition, whereas freeze is more permanent.

The bizarre thing is it's only happened in 2 drawings and I don't know of anything unique that's been done in them.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dana.probert
in reply to: Anonymous

did you maybe accidentally apply a layer control by viewport in paper space?

could you post the drawing?
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes dhadley, in my experience that's consistent behaviour for Civil 3D: the "Independent layer on" variable only applies to the
Layer On/Off status; perhaps what is needed is a "Independent layer thawed" variable.

To get around it, I've set up my points so that the points I want invisible go to a point group "Points - invisible" point group,
which is on a "Points - invisible" layer (which is also a non-plot layer), the ones I want visible go to their respective service
point group (on their respective service layer) or to a "Visible points" point group which is on a "Points - visible" layer. The
description key combined with the inclusion criteria of the point groups does the majority of the distribution. That way, my primary
display control is via point groups and layers rather than styles and the "Independent layer on" variable doesn't really come into
the equation. Yes, a couple more layers to clutter the Layer Manager, but only a couple and ones that have proven completely
justifiable.

Hope that helps,
Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report