Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Curve

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rkk_engineer
775 Views, 6 Replies

3D Curve

How do I draw a 3-d curve in Civil 3D?  I have a curved alignment that has a horizontal curve and is also curved in the vertical direction.  I'm not sure how to draw this.  Can somebody help me?  Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: rkk_engineer

If you're using Alignments, the vertical is defined using a Profile.

You can also use Feature Lines, which are a bit like a "light-weight Alignment", but those cannot have vertical curves.  A Feature Line can have a true horizontal curve, but as opposed to a Profile, a Feature Line can only straight-grade from grade break to grade break.

By contrast, a 3D Polyline cannot have curves in either horizontal or vertical directions, and all curves must be approximated using a series of short line segments.

Sinc
Message 3 of 7
civilspace

*if* you needed a literal 3D curve, Sinc is right, you would need to approximate it using a series of segments.  The best way would be an alignment for the horizontal, profile for vertical, subassembly, corridor with a high frequency, extract a feature line from that.  

Regards,
Anthony
Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

You can have a 3D curve, but it can't be an alignment/profile combination.  For example, you would create a feature line that is curved, you would have different elevations at each end of that curve...there is your 3d curve.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 7
OMCUSNR

I'm thinking you'll need to run a cooridor, create a surface, then view it in 3d view.  You'd be able to see the resulting centerline that way.

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 6 of 7
civilspace
in reply to: OMCUSNR

I love it - 4 people saying the same thing.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 7 of 7
rkk_engineer
in reply to: civilspace

thanks for your input

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report