Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 or 64 bit?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ksorsby
1408 Views, 6 Replies

32 or 64 bit?

Sorry if this has been posted before (although I couldn't find anything).

We're now running C3D 2010 on Windows 7 64bit and I'm told by our 'IT guy' that the CAD installations are also 64 bit. I'm not sure they are because I get memory and performance issues even though I have 8Gb, and when I run task manager it shows the running process as 'acad.exe *32' as in the attached image.

So, how do I determine if I'm running C3d 64 bit or not?

Cheers,

Kevin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: ksorsby

There is no 64-bit version of Civil 3D 2010.  C3D 2011 is the first release with a 64-bit version.

Your IT guy is probably talking about a 64-bit deployment package, which makes the IT guy's job easier for installation.  However, that is merely a special installation package, designed to install C3D on a 64-bit OS.  The program itself is still 32-bit.

Sinc
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Civil 3d was not available as a 64 bit program until 2011.  If you are using 2010, it's a 32 bit insatll.  HOWEVER, plain autocad in 2010 was available as a 64bit program.

I installed my 2010, in 7 64pro, with the XP emulation.

Reid

Message 4 of 7
ksorsby
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks guys, that all makes sense.

We're about to move up to 2011 anyway so I'll make sure he does the 64bit one.

Another thing - will I notice any performance increases moving up to 2011, either because of the 64bit-ness or because 2011 is a little more optimised?

Kevin.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

With SP1 installed 2011 seems to be a bit more stable, and has fewer crashes due to "out of memory" problems.  If you're on subscription, there's a new bonus pack too.

Reid

Message 6 of 7
michael.robertson

When you make your move, you need to make sure if use any third party applications that they also have a 64bit version.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: michael.robertson

Good point!  Case in point Bentley SewerCAD and WaterCAD are only 32-bit plugins for Civil3D; does not work on 2011 64-bit.  (this has been discussed in other threads). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report