Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 User Profile Help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bcollins
3195 Views, 8 Replies

2015 User Profile Help

We are in the process of switching from 2014 to 2015.  Before installing 2015 I exported my user profile .arg file.  Then, when 2015 was up and running I imported that profile and hit "set current".  Now the Civil 3d workspace is missing.

To complicate matters worse, I can switch my user profile back to the default <<C3D_Imperial>> and the Civil 3D workspace will come back.  Go back to the one I imported and it's gone again.  I still have 2014 on my machine and it's working fine.  I even tried to export the profile again to make sure that it wasn't corrupted for some reason.  No dice.

Anyone have any ideas.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: bcollins

ARG files store profile information, such as the CUIx files which contain both workspace and UI elements, as well as search paths.  Since these change from version to version, you are attempting to use an older CUIx and other support files with the newer program - not the best of ideas.  There are profile migration tools which attempt help you migrate your workspace, although I usually find it best to set up workspaces for each version separately since they frequently include new elements and remove others.  Keeping your custom UI elements (toolbars, Ribbon panels, etc.) in a separate CUIx file (as opposed to keeping them in the civil3D.CUIx file) and partially loading them allows for them to be portable between versions.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
mathewkol

To add to what dg indicated, don't use profiles (ARG files) between versions. It can kind of work sometimes, but most often you'll run into trouble. Spend the 5 minutes setting up the profile manually instead. Use the express tool system variable editor to export the sysvars and this will help your cause.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 9
Jay_B

I create arg profiles for our company and every time we upgrade I always start with the OOTB Imperial or Metric profile for the new version.

First I will create screen captures of every tab etc. within our previous release custom arg profile.
Then these screen captures are used as the basis for every setting in options while creating the new arg.

Invariably as the new version is compared to the old there are a few new or missing settings.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 9
bcollins

It looks like trying to import the 2014 user profile was my issue.  I ended up having to reset all the settings to default to get everything working right again, but I think I'm back up and running now.

Is there not a way to migrate all of my custom settings from one version to the next?  I thought that was the purpose of the user profile.  I can go through the options dialog box tab by tab and change everything but that takes a little while.  Add in that I like to use custom colors for my background, command line, crosshairs, etc. and that's another set of settings to go change.  Then having to set up my tool palette again... and my quick properties dialog box settings... and copying my pgp file... and copying my pen settings... and ... and ... and ...  The bottom line is that with as much customization as I do, I wish there was an easier way to move from one version to the next without having to manually set all of that.

I looked into the "Migrate From a Previous Release" program (start -> all programs -> autodesk -> autocad 2015 -> migrate custom settings -> migrate from a previous release), but that appears to only copy from AutoCAD to AutoCAD and not from C3D to C3D.  I looked under C3D and could not find a similar migration tool. 

So is there a tool or program that would copy all of those settings from one version to another?

Message 6 of 9
mathewkol

The purpopse of the ARG is not to transfer your settings to a newer version, but to have a backup for the same version. Also so you can restore settings easily or to transfer to another computer.

I do a lot of customization too. It takes me exactly 10 minutes to migrate to a new version by doing things the right way. The tool I mentioned earlier helps a lot. Therer are many other techniques.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 9
dgorsman

Imagine doing that on dozens of computers.  One of the reasons we don't upgrade with every release.

Using a well organized Enterprise/Main CUIx arrangement allows for a lot of personal workspace UI settings and company-specific partial CUIx content to be migrated but still requires some adjustments to handle new or removed UI elements.

Certain settings such as display colors are a little more difficult.  That would likely involve digging down into the registry and extracting key names and values, then transposing them into the new version.  PROVIDED the structure is the same.  Again, there's always something new and something removed so it pays to pay attention.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 9
bcollins
in reply to: dgorsman

I was able to get my custom tools and toolbars by using my CUIx file.  I also used the express tool that mathewk mentioned.  I'm not sure how I missed your initial post, but I'm sure that will cover a lot of the settings that I have to go through and set.  So I think I'm in good shape now.  Thanks for the help everyone.

My wish list to Autodesk would be to develop a migration tool that would grab all your settings, options, tool bars, ribbons, tool palettes, file path options, etc. etc. etc. and transport them to the next version.  I know.  I know.  Things change and they probably won't do it.  But it sure would be nice.  I only manage my computer, so every time we upgrade (once every year or two) I have to go back and figure out how I did what I did last time.  When you only use a CUIx file once every couple of years then it takes a while to remember how to do what you want it to do.

Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I'm with the OOTB crowd and modify

I have hacked (I'm no programer but got something to work for us) my way into a quasi automated setup with a lisp file in the acaddoc.lsp that sets all the custom paths for all users at startup. All ne users get a welcome email with all the needed hyperlinks. Took some time and thanks to all on these groups for helping me out. It works and ended my days of loaded profiles for users.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report