Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Short Pipe Network Structure Profile Display Problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Marsay
1107 Views, 9 Replies

2015 Short Pipe Network Structure Profile Display Problem

When displaying a short structure in profile view the structure becomes distorted. Attached is an example of the Problem.

The two structures shown in the example are the same part.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: Marsay

Can you post an example dwg file with this issue?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
Tjbyerly

I am having the same issue. If the structure is tall enough, there is no problem. However, a short structure will distort. I have attached a copy of the drawing (I had to edit the actual drawing to reduce the size). The structure styles were originally created in the 2008 version, but have worked fine in the 2010, and 2012 versions.

C3D 2015 SP 1
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V2 3.20 Ghz
8 GB RAM
AMD FirePro V4900
HP Z220
Message 4 of 10
Marsay
in reply to: Jay_B

Attached is a dwg with the problem described. I have used the standard template that ships with Civil 3D 2015.

Message 5 of 10
Jay_B

Justin,

The Rim to Sump Height of the distorted structure is 3.96' which is squishing the limits of the various parameters in part builder for the Concentric Cone structure used.

0.33' casting

2.0' cone

0.5' pipe barell clearance

.67' pipe used

Total = 3.50'

If rim surface adjustment is set to false and the Rim elevation is adjusted to achieve a total rim to sump height of 4.57' the structure returns to normal.

I tried the same scenario in 2012 and it doesn't distort the structure in the same manner even down to a 2' rim to sump height but that doesn't mean that a 2' rim to sump height would be practical or desirable using the OOTB parameters in Part Builder for the Concentric Structure 48 dia 18 frame 24 cone part.

I do observe a slight difference in the behavior between 2012 and 2015 but if given a choice I would choose the distortion because it serves as an indication to the designer somethings not right.

If you must have a structure shallower than 4.57', then using a top slab structure in lieu of a 24" cone or edit the parameters in part builder for current structure to allow for a shorter build height.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 10
Marsay
in reply to: Jay_B

The purpose of this post was to shine a light on this problem and to hopefully find a solution that I might have missed. I could not find a post covering this topic yet so I decided to make one.

This function worked perfectly in 2010 - 2014. I could make a pipe network part of any size and shape without them breaking.

C3D 2015 broke all of my part libraries.

I have made several custom parts to attempt and fix this problem. I have found that a simple Cylinder will still display properly in profile view (basically as a rectangle) no matter how tall it is.

(WORKAROUND)

You can still use C3D 2014 to complete your plans. You can even fix the broken parts you placed in 2015 by opening them up in 2014 and resetting them (change any value of the structure dimensions and watch it update).

Explanation of why a Cylinder won’t work for me: I have a large custom library of pipe network parts that conform to the standards of municipalities that review my plans. They expect to see a certain level of detail / quality in my plans.

I have a work around for now. I’m just hoping Autodesk will say: “hey we know about this problem and were working on it”.

Message 7 of 10
Jay_B

Sorry, but I didn't see many (if any) of those details in your OP.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest filing a Support Request through Subscription and see what they say.

This is a peer to peer Forum and Autodesk won't necessarily see or respond to possible issues/bugs.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 10
Marsay

AND:

Email from Autodesk Support:

"Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting Autodesk Support. My name is ***** and I would like to inform you that the issue you have reported is a known issue to the development team and they are working to resolve the issue. I am going to link your case to the reported known issue.

As a workaround, increasing the sump depth to 2 ft corrects the display in the profile.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this issue may cause. Please make sure that you keep your product up to date with the latest Hotfixes, Service Pack and release to ensure that you take advantage of this, and other, fix as soon as it is available.

I am going to go ahead and close this case at this time.  If you have further questions regarding this issue, you can reply to any of the case emails within 30 days to reopen the case.

Sincerely,"

YAY THEY ARE WORKING ON IT!!!!!!

Message 9 of 10
bvandamm

Good to know they are working on it. I just uninstalled my 2014 because they released the SP1 for 2015.... silly me...

"The source of expertise is not in the memorization
of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough
understanding of the fundamental concepts on
which it is based." - Dan Appleman
Message 10 of 10
Marsay

Service pack 2 appears to have solved this problem. I will give it a couple of days of testing before i accept this as solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report