Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 - Poor Modify Object Preview Performance with Images

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Cadguru42
374 Views, 12 Replies

2015 - Poor Modify Object Preview Performance with Images

I've noticed that with 2015 when a Mr. Sid aerial is placed in the drawing (using MAPIINSERT) that the new command previews cause the cursor to become sluggish. For example, with an image on and I have two lines that I want to fillet, when the new preview of what the fillet will look like tries to load, the cursor jerks and is extremely slow to respond. This happens with any of the new previews, such as trim, extend, fillet, etc. As soon as I turn off the image the previews work just like normal with no slow down at all. When this happens it is very frustrating just to trim a line because the cursor gets stuck for a second whenever I try to get the cursor to select the trim objects. When the cursor is moved to select the trim object(s), whatever lines the cursor passes over there is a 1 second lag, which means when the cursor is moved across just two lines there is a pause for each one for a second.

Does anyone else run into this issue? I thought it might be the video drivers for my NVIDIA Quadro 2000, so I loaded the latest recommended certified driver (331.82) and it still does it. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: Cadguru42

Have you tried turning off Hardware Acceleration?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13
Cadguru42
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Have you tried turning off Hardware Acceleration?

I tried that and it doesn't change the stuttering problem. I only have this problem with 2015 and not 2014. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 13
tcorey

and your video card is listed as certified here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: tcorey

I just checked your card and it IS certified.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 13
Cadguru42

Guess I'll start yet another support request.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 13
dgorsman

Could this be from only 6 GB RAM?  That seems more that a little low for Civil3D work, let alone large image files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 13
Cadguru42
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Could this be from only 6 GB RAM?  That seems more that a little low for Civil3D work, let alone large image files.

Considering acad.exe is only using 850MB of memory with two drawings open right now, no, it's not a problem. Civil 3D rarely ever uses more than 2.5GB even though it's 64-bit and most of the time with mutliple drawings open it only takes up 1.5GB. I looked a bit more at this and noticed that when the image is on and the cursor is moved over an object that the preview tries to show, acad.exe spikes to 100% of a core, which is why I'm almost positive it's not a graphics card issue. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 13
Cadguru42

Turns out this is a bug with 2015 that I confirmed yesterday. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I am having this problem too, to the point where I can't even do the simple commands without waiting for several minutes for my screen to unfreeze. (the bigger and more complicated the polyline, the worse it seems to be. Bad news for grading object daylights...) How do you turn off the command previews?

Message 11 of 13
ACADuser

Have you tried setting IMAGEQUALITY to "draft"? I would be interested in knowing if there is a workaround other than turning the image off. I don't have 2015 installed, but if possible you could try turning off the preview functionality.
ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 12 of 13
Cadguru42
in reply to: ACADuser

@ACADuser wrote:
Have you tried setting IMAGEQUALITY to "draft"? I would be interested in knowing if there is a workaround other than turning the image off. I don't have 2015 installed, but if possible you could try turning off the preview functionality.

This is still a known bug that C3D SP1 did not fix. There is no workaround other than either turning off the image or turning off all command previews, neither of which is a good solution.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 13
Cadguru42

Just an FYI, Service Pack 2 doesn't fix this. <sigh>

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report