Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Civil 3D crashes during Orbit and Pan

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1839 Views, 7 Replies

2015 Civil 3D crashes during Orbit and Pan

I have recently run into an issue with Civil 3D 2015. I am trying to model and generate a surface from a point cloud utilizing the kubit pointsense suite of tools as a plugin. The problem I am having is that anytime I attempt to orbit using Shift+mousewheel I frequently have my program crash. It does not ask me to send an error report, the program just crashes outright. This sometimes happens immediately, othertimes I can zip around the drawing no problem until it suddenly studders and crashes. All other functionality for Civil 3d works fine, it is just orbiting around a pointcloud that causes the crash.

I've attached an error log from the event viewer on my computer, as well as a txt file listing the specs of my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot believe that a 3d program can't handle 3d movement.

Thanks,

-Ryan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not familiar with your video card but with the Nvidia line turning off Adaptive Degradation in 3DConfig helped a lot with preventing crashes during Orbit.

ad.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

It looks like turning off adaptive degradation has stopped my crashing issue, although the drawing does now run horrifyingly slowly. I suppose slow is better than broken though.

Interesting to note for all users on 2015, the adaptive degradation is no longer under the "GRAPHICSCONFIG" (or 3DCONFIG) GUI interface, you have to enter the command line editor by typing "-GRAPHICSCONFIG" in order to access the toggle for adaptive degradation.

Message 4 of 8
TruePoint-ahunt

We run several different situations with Civil 3D and point clouds.  We too find it crashes often.  We have some monster computers and even decimate point clouds down and still have trouble.  It did seem to get better with new card drivers, but the last update to Civil 3D appears to have brought the problems back.

Aaron

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TruePoint-ahunt

Has anyone received a response from Autodesk on this issue?

This impacting productivity.

Message 6 of 8
TruePoint-ahunt

Changes in the 2016 products have greatly reduced all crashes. I haven't
tried the NavCube or 3d Orbit with a point cloud, but with normal Civil 3d
objects, much better.

Aaron
Message 7 of 8
awkeller88
in reply to: AllenJessup

Ran into the same problem in 2016. -GRAPHICSCONFIG to get to the adaptive degradation settings and turn it off seems to have helped. No more crashy crashy. Thanks.

~Andy

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: awkeller88

Glad my previous musings helped.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report