Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Dynamic North Arrow Rotation Issue (part 2)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jamesmac1200
607 Views, 5 Replies

2014 Dynamic North Arrow Rotation Issue (part 2)

I'm attempting to use our (company specific) north arrow is our drawings using the north arrow with the Layout Tools. Everything works fine initially. The north arrow comes in correctly with the correct orientation (based on the viewport). The problem occurs when I switch to a different layout within the drawing, then back to the original layout.

For example:

My drawing has three layout tabs; Layout1 and Layout2

In Layout1 I insert my dynamic north arrow and associate it with the viewport. Lets assume its a 30 degree rotation.

Next I select Layout2 and perform the same steps as above.

This is where is fun begins.........

I go back to Layout1 and now the north arrow is pointing north (straight up).

I go back to Layout2 the same thing appens; the north arrow is pointing north (straight up).

Again, I go back to Layout1 and now the north arrow is pointing in the correct orientation (30 degrees)?!?!

Same for Layout2

This back-and-forth behavior continues everytime I switch between layouts. The interesting component to all of this is that it does NOT do this behavior when I use the north arrows provided within the program i.e. Arrow1 thru Arrow30.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: jamesmac1200

Are you inserting the NorthArrow into Modelspace or Paperspace? I know you're on a layout tab.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
jamesmac1200
in reply to: tcorey

I am placing the north arrow in Paperspace

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 4 of 6
cadtech1986

Did you find a solution? I am having the same issue with the (custom) north arrow randomly toggling straight up in paper space.

I noticed that if I turn my Viewcube and Navbar on (by default they are off) and regen in model space, the north arrow realigns to the correct orientation. But that shouldn't be causing the issue (??) . Is this just a glitch?

Message 5 of 6
jack.martin
in reply to: cadtech1986

Also looking for this solution, because I'm having the same problem in Civil 3D 2014, and it's maddening. I can even get the arrow to toggle just by locking and unlocking the viewport.
Message 6 of 6
drenaud

Out of the box layout element North arrows have a rotation parameter called Map.View.Rotation. I'm not quite sure how to apply this to our own North arrow block. The whole things seems broken now - if I try to Load Custom Arrow it isn't seeing any of the many blocks in my drawing. In the dwg I created to hold that north arrow all it sees is the "open terminator" block.

This is something that would be really useful, but only if it actually works. I had the issue with the block rotating back to 0 angle in PS so that when I plotted the arrows were wrong except where there was zero viewport view rotation. I looked like a real idiot because I never checked after it went in the first time correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report