Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Stage-Storage

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
fcernst
727 Views, 8 Replies

2013 Stage-Storage

I'm trying to create a stage-storage table with six closed 2D polylines. They highlight when I select them, but nothing is loading in the Table?

Just curious if this is working ok for others?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: fcernst

It works for me. I have no thoughts about why it's not working for you unless you're doing something wrong. Explain the steps you're doing.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 9
fcernst

Thanks Matt. I just confirmed it works in a new C3D 2013 drawing with new polylines I just created.

This drawing is from a client and originally created in LDD 2004. I have saved as C3D 2013 and have been doing other things in it for a couple days.

I tried in C3D 2012 also and it didn't work. Went to LDD 2004 with the original drawing and created a table easily. 

Here are the Properties:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 9
witzel

It may be that the original polylines are "2d Polylines" vs "LWPOLYLINE", the standard for a number of years.  LDD was never really updated to the LWPOLYLINE from objects.  Do  a list on the object.

I have had this happen before with regular polylines as well.  Sometimes it seems to have a problem with polylines that are "closed" but the last segment is already connected to the first.  If you break it a short distance away from the end and then close them it may correct the problem.

Hope that helps,

Conan Witzel

Message 5 of 9
witzel
in reply to: witzel

I should have mentioned that you can use "CONVERT" to converts the polylines.

I think this may be your issue from the screen grab.  I think the macro is looking for a certain type of entity and 2d poly escapes the selection type.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Message 6 of 9
fcernst

Correct.

Awhile ago it occured to me to Explode these in 2013 and Join. That worked.

I wish the upward conversion would have handled this so I didn't spin my wheels yesterday.

Thanks

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 9
mathewkol

I would not have expected moving from LDT to Civil 3D would have changed those.  The old-style polylines are still valid objects which are useful for some things.  Having them convert automatically would loosely be like converting single line text to MTEXT; sometimes it's not what you want.  Since Land Desktop objects are "unintelligent" (except for a few things,) Civil 3D would have had no idea those polylines were used for stage storage, thus no trigger for conversion.

Spinning wheels is just something that happens when you make the switch to any different software until you become proficient.  Unfortunately it's part of life.

Glad you were able to find a solution.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 9
fcernst

I don't follow the logic there:

The sitiuation is not about a learning curve or proficiency. The command procedure for creating a Stage-Storage curve defined by Polylines is very simple and straightforward in C3D.

The issue was the command found (accepted) the Polylines, however failed to process and update the Table (see captures below).

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 9
witzel

If I remember the history of the Stage vs Storage tool, it was purchased from EE and I think it was written in VBA.

I think instead of limiting the selection set to LWPOLYLINES they did the separation during processing.  2d polylines haven't really been used since R14 (Except for LDD) and are a different object.

I don't think Autodesk did much to this tool at all, and I have certainly had other issues with it as well.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report