Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013, Quick Properties, and extra clicks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
rkmcswain
1526 Views, 15 Replies

2013, Quick Properties, and extra clicks

C3D2013

With QP activated, if I select an object (say an alignment or profile view) on the screen and want to pick its GRIP, I have to click the screen FIRST to get focus back to the drawing window (so two clicks). The same applies to the contextual Ribbon, it takes two clicks to 'press' a ribbon button if QP is activated.

C3D 2011 does not act like this. 

Can anyone on 2013 confirm? Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

I have had the need to double click Ribbon buttons and the model space display like this since 2010 or 11.

It's like you need an click to activate the ribbon or the model space display before being able to select a command button or an object on screen. I can't confirm it in 2013 but I can with 11 and 12. I do use QP's but have never noticed a link with this behaivor.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

It's like you need an click to activate the ribbon or the model space display before being able to select a command button or an object on screen. I can't confirm it in 2013 but I can with 11 and 12. I do use QP's but have never noticed a link with this behaivor.

Just to clarify. When I started using 2013, I started noticing this behavior. Then after some testing, found it was only occurring when QP was activated.  Then I went back to 2011 to test and it works fine (no double clicks needed) with QP disabled or enabled.

Both tested versions on the same machine. I'll do some more experimenting with settings and such, because the extra click is annoying to say the least.

Message 4 of 16

I was about to post that I don't see this issue in 2013, but I was testing using a polyline (which at the moment does not have a context ribbon tab). I tried on an alignment, tin surface, profile view and section view, all of which have context ribbon tabs.

I just did a nit of testing, and if I select a plain autocad object, the program behaves as expected, i.e. the object is highlighted, the context ribbon shows and the cursor remains as a cross, ready to grip edit the object. If you select a civil 3d object, the object is highlighted, the context ribbon shows but the cursor changes to an arrow, which means you have to click back into the drawing area to get the focus back.

I just removed the context tab for tin surfaces from the cui andthen tried selecting a tin surface with the QP on and it still changed the cursor to a n arror requiring me to click back into the drawing to get the focus back, so it seems it is only related to  the quick properties and not combined with context ribbon tabs.

This also occurs when you select multiple civil 3d objects, but does not occur if you include an autocad object amoungst the selection. Seems something about the Quick properties pallete is not being handled properly with civil 3d objects, as it is with autocad objects.

This is one that needs to be sent off to civil 3d support.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 16
neilyj666

I tried with a surface and polyline in 2011, 2012 and 2013 all with Quick Properties on

When selecting the surface in 2011, the cursor remained as crosshairs and similarly with selecting the polyline

In 2012 and 2013, when selecting the surface the cursor remained as a "windows" arrow and I had to click on the screen to get focus but when selecting the polyline I got the crosshairs.

I'll raise a support ticket......done, will post back any replies

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 16
rkmcswain

Thanks for the additional info. I didn't test with plain AutoCAD entities, but now I see it acts as you say.

I have opened a support ticket with Autodesk also.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 16
neilyj666

Also happens if I select a Feature line (with QP on) and use LIST but behaves as expected if I LIST a polyline

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I'm on vacation and cannot test. I could very well be wrong about 2011. 2012 is definitive on my machines. Thanks for getting this to support Sent from my iPhone

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
neilyj666
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Response received from Autodesk

"Many thanks for your support request and report.

I have done some digging and found this is a known issue with the Quick Properties in releases 2012 and 2013 as you correctly mentioned.

I will pass on your comments to the development team to add weight to the case. Currently they are targeting a fix for the 2014 release.

Sorry for the annoyance this may cause in the meantime.

Let me know if I can proceed with temporary filing of this support case or if you have any additional questions."

Targetting a fix for 2014 - unbelievable......what are we paying all this money for.....Smiley MadSmiley Mad!!!!!!!!

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
rkmcswain

I have yet to receive anything back from the support team.

Yea, I do not get this. It would probably take a single programmer a couple of hours to find this, fix it, and zip it up as a hotfix. 

Message 11 of 16
neilyj666

Perhaps we see where Autodesk's priorities are.....pushing ahead with the all singing all dancing "big picture" software that they think users want and forgetting about their bread and butter products that most users use day in day out.....

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
demus72

Was this issue ever resolved? Several of my coworkers are experiencing this issue but really like Quick Properties and don't want to shut it off. Did AutoDesk ever respond to the opened ticket or do we really have to wait for release 2014? Anyone have an update?

Thank you

Message 13 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: demus72

@Anonymous wrote:

Was this issue ever resolved? Several of my coworkers are experiencing this issue but really like Quick Properties and don't want to shut it off. Did AutoDesk ever respond to the opened ticket or do we really have to wait for release 2014? Anyone have an update?

Thank you

Not resolved.

It is still a bug in 2013 SP1.

Message 14 of 16
neilyj666

@rkmcswain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you

Not resolved.

It is still a bug in 2013 SP1.

....and probably still will be in 2014....

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
kgerman

2015 SP3 and this problem still persists and drives me NUTS.  Quick Propeties is simultenously the best and worst feature in AutoCAD.  

Message 16 of 16
joshsouth
in reply to: kgerman

I believe this specific problem is fixed in civil 2017, however a simular problem persists. When I pick a Civil object such as a label, then run EXPLODE, the focus is lost and a click is needed to continue.  Also, if I have layers isolated and explode a label, it is removed from the drawing. The only way I can get it back is to UNDO until before I used LAYISO.

Can anyone replicate that? Thoughts?

Josh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report