AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

christian
Message 21 of 23 (1,031 Views)

Re: 2013 Dynamic North Arrow Rotation Issue

12-21-2012 03:43 PM in reply to: C3D_TomR

This does not remove the coordinate systems from your drawing(dwt). It just removes the association of the True north being repersented on the north arrow and navcube.

The already placed NA's can be reset after you remove the GEO if needed. The Navcube can be turned of in the template file and if you don't use the auto north arrows, no one even knows it is rotated slightly. You cna even set them to remove the north rotation and be straight up, but when you do it rotates the viewport.

I have even cheated and placed the associated NA on a no plot layer and had a plotted NA that is not associated with the viewport. SO one noplot controls the rotation, one is plotted. ANother reason for this is the plotted NA is a custom one, and when I tried for a few minutes to make it a smart one it gave me issues. I'm always pressed for time, it is on th elist to revisit in the future.

christian
Message 22 of 23 (1,026 Views)

12-21-2012 04:02 PM in reply to: christian

I was wrong about resetting the NA it still rotates the viewprt. I forgot, I bring it in again after the GEO removal.

Valued Contributor
C3D_TomR
Message 23 of 23 (1,024 Views)

12-21-2012 04:33 PM in reply to: christian

I had similar issues trying to use our standard north arrow. It has a north arrow assigned to a rotation parameter. The north arrow rotates inside of a box with text. I like your idea of having the dynamic one on a no-plot layer for a visual notification of a major change in the viewport.

See what happens if you follow this scenario.:

1. New drawing from the Imperial NCS template.
  2. Set coord system to TX83-CF.
  3. Type GEO then enter, remove the geographic location, Yes.
  4. Verify that the coord system is still set to TX83-CF then OK.
  5. Go to Layout1.
  6. Mview, draw a rectangular viewport.
  7. Double click inside the viewport then draw a square.
  8. Verify that the coord system is still set to TX83-CF then OK.
  9. Double click outside of the viewport to make paperspace current.
  10. Place a dynamic north arrow #13 in the drawing associated to the viewport you created.
  11. Zoom into the arrow location and verify that it points north as expected. Mine north arrow at this point is rotated.
  12. Delete the north arrow.
  13. Double click inside the viewport again to access modelspace.
  14. Type GEO then enter, remove the geographic location, Yes.
  15. Double click outside the viewport to make paperspace current.
  16. Verify that the coord system is still set to TX83-CF then OK.
  17. Place a new dynamic north arrow #13 associated to the existing viewport.
  18. Select the north arrow and change the x, y, and z scale in the properties palette to 20.
  19. The north arrow looks rotated at this point.
  20. Verify the coord system settingis still set to TX83-CF then OK.

At this point what I'm seeing is that everytime I check the Units and Zone tab and choose OK, the geographic location gets reset. So let's set it then continue without OK.

1. Remove any existing dynamic north arrows.
  2. Double click inside the viewport again to access modelspace.
  3. Type GEO then enter, remove the geographic location, Yes.
  4. Double click outside the viewprot to make paperspace current.
  5. Place a new dynamic north arrow #13 associated to teh existing viewport.
  6. Select the north arrow and change the x, y, and z scale in the properties palette to 20.
  7. The north arrow looks correct.
  8. Draw a polyline using F8 to enable ortho after picking the first point.
  9. Select the polyline and rotate it 45 degrees around the south endpoint.
  10. Now check the coord system setting. Mine is set to No Datum, No Projection.

Can see where the coord system holds and where it doesn't?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.