Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Survey newbie - Styles/Import Survey Data

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
torner
1081 Views, 12 Replies

2012 Survey newbie - Styles/Import Survey Data

I am a C3D newbie using a clients template file and trying to figure out how to import our survey in PNEZD txt format. The template files I am working with are from WDOT and have many items set up including  Point Styles, Label Styles, Description Key Sets, Figure Styles and Layers. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what each of these control/do what I need to create. I know that WDOT uses C3D for design and they translate survey from Cacie to C3D.

I have setup an Equipment Database and Linework Code Set that matches how we code things in the field (Begin=ST, Begin/End Curve= PC/PT, etc.). I am confused as to what exactly the Figure Prefix Database does and how it relates to the other Styles. I have put these in a network folder.

My first attempt using Import Survey Data with the latest WDOT .dwt file produces lines (survey figure) that are all Style=Standard and Layer=0. The points (Cogo Point) are all Style=P RW Circle Filled and Layer=P_MISC.

I also tried the same procedure on an earlier version (Dec. 2011) of the .dwt. This produced lines that had the correct Style and Layer. The points that were NOT shots taking along linework (such as a ground shot, manhole, sign) came in with the correct Style and Layer. What is wrong are the points (shots) that are along the lines (edge of sidewalk, storm sewer, edge of lane) have the Style=<default> (which shows as the P RW Circle Filled symbol) and Layer=P_MISC.

This is all overwhelming me. I feel that it is fairly close though, using the old template.I am not sure what would have changed between the two to produce such different outputs. Any help getting down the correct path is appreciated.

Tom
C3D 2012 sp4\C3D 2014 sp2
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
Intel Xeon CPU W3565@3.20GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
IanMcClain
in reply to: torner

The figure prefix will assign a style to the survey figure and place it on a desired layer, similar to the description key. To be sure that it is being read, check settings under Survey.>Edit User Settings. You may have to pick the name of your prefix library if it is not showing in the pull down. If you have layers for different linework, I would suggest making one "bylayer" style for all figures and use the prefix library to assign the layers.

If your linework codes are all coming in with the same funky symbol, it is probably the point group that is created on import. When you import to a survey database a point group is always made that included the range of points you bring in, and it goes to the top of the point group hierarchy. I have not found a way to disable this or change the default styles this group uses (mine always uses a back-flow-preventer style). I always have to move this group down the hierarchy or delete it. It won't hurt anything to delete it, but if you re-import the file, it will come back to the top of the list.

figures.png

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 13
rl_jackson
in reply to: IanMcClain

Ian,

To stop the Point group from being created, when you get to the Import options tab of the SDB import, uncheck the Import survey points.

This stops the point group from being created and then simply right-click survey points and insert to drawing.

This is my work around unless someone has something better.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
IanMcClain
in reply to: rl_jackson

But then you don't get any points. I still prefer to just stick the auto-created group at the bottom of the group list, where it won't bother me.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 13
torner

I've been able to import the linework correctly in the new template. I still have some issues though.

1. The points for the linework come in with circles on the respective layers. I would want these as tics. (1st printscreen-left)

2. The points still come in as red filled circles (Style+P RW Circle Filled). (1st printscreen-right)

I also attached my Survey User Settings(2nd printscreen). I left blank the Figure style & layer thinking that putting something in there puts all figures on 1 style and layer. 

I am still filling out my Figure Prefix Database but did input some of the most used ones first, hoping to get better results.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Tom

C3D 2012 sp1 Win7 64bit

Tom
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 6 of 13
torner

I have found a completed Figure Prefix Database file. I started fresh everything (template, survey database, etc.) but still have the same issues.

I don't understand the Survey Point Groups solution. I only have 1 listed underneath there so Ican't move it down and deleting it also does not help.

Tom
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 7 of 13
IanMcClain

Points display based on what point style and label style is applied to them. Styles can be assigned indiviualy (you can change them in properties), by a group, or by a description key. I'm guessing your description key is left blank in the point and label style column. As an example mine has a individual style for each type of piont that I want a symbol for (FH, SMH, etc.) and I pretty much use the same label style for all points that displays the formated description (aka Full Description). For all other points I use a defualt point and label that shows a small 0.01" circle and dot and a small 0.01" Point #, Elevation and description . This can take awhile to setup, but save it in a template and you only have to do it once. You will need to put all of your symbol blocks you want to use in this drawing in order to pick them with the styles you make. I have a screen shot of mine attached.

Hope that helps.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 13
torner

Ian-thanks for your help on this.

In the client's template, there is the DescriptionKeys that are filled out with the style. Point style is default but that's ok, I can change that as needed. It must be somewhere else that it's setting this. I just came across the Point Group Properties...possibly it's something in there?? Images attached.

Tom
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 9 of 13
IanMcClain

Check under the Toolspace Settings tab for Point->Commands->CreatePoints. Be sure "Disable Description Keys" is set to false. If it was set to true, change it and try re-importing or select all points, right-click and choose "Apply Description Keys".

Looks like you are just about there.

Ian McClain
Message 10 of 13
torner

Thanks Ian, I switched the Disable Desc Keys setting to False and that worked for my points.

Now the remaining issue (that I can see) is the Figure Points (not sure of terminology). That is the points that the linework follows, has open circles at each point. I want these to be tics (small crosshairs). If this has to do with a Style, there may be one set up already.

Tom
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 11 of 13
torner

I have finally got a file to display how I want. There were a few things I need to change after importing the survey that I would like to make permanent but not exactly sure where.

1. After importing I have some points that have the red filled circle. I found that if I go to Prospector>Point Groups and select the file I imported. Then Right click>Properties. This dialog box show that Default Styles>Point Style= P RW Circle (which is the red filled circle). I change this to None.

All of my manholes, hydrants, etc. are displaying fine per the Desc Keys. This just helped the display of cogo points along lines.

2.After importing I have circles showing up along the figures at all the vertex/shots that were taken. To fix this I found under Settings tab Survey>Figure Styles>Choose Standard style>Edit. Then chose a Marker style>Edit to get the the Marker Style-Standard dialog box. Here I switched the custom marker from a circle to a +.

I am thinking that I would need to make these changes while in the client's template file to keep from doing this in each dwg?

Tom
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 12 of 13
IanMcClain

1. This is an issue that rl_jackson and I talked about earlier in this thread. The import point group always gets created when you import a file, and you can't change it's defualt point style and label anywhere in the settings.You would think it would fall under CreatePointGroup commands, but the group created when you import does not obey those settings. So you can either change it everytime, move it down the group heiracy everytime (like I do) or uncheck insert pionts when you import the file and then insert points manually (like rl_jackson described). Extra steps no matter what you do. I hope this gets fixed in a future release.

2. Yes, the figure styles can and should be changed in your template file.

Good luck!

Ian McClain
Message 13 of 13
mccabejoshua

Are you referring to "Vertex Markers Styles" or "Point Styles" for the points of your Figures(linework)?  There are also Midpoint, Endpoit and Additional Markers.

Under the "Display" tab in the dialogue box of the Figure Style you are editting, are any of the marker types "Visible"?  I think this is what you are seeing.  The default of a new Figure Style has the "Vertex Markers" "Visible"

I have my Desc. Key setup where points on figure lines don't show on import.  Then I use a Point Group that includes points that are associated with figures to manage their display while I make edits.

How do you turn off the (+) mark of, for example, a pavement edge for your final mapping?

In your Desc. Key, what is your Point Style for pavement edge?

I love Civil 3D and the million+ plus ways things can be done 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report