Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Surface cropping issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
huhhot
673 Views, 8 Replies

2011 Surface cropping issue

I'm in 2011 version. I 'm trying to crop a LiDar surface. However, the wizard came out without the source surfaces listed in the panel. I also tired to pick a surface in the drawing and I was allowed to pick surfaces, but nothing happened after I hit enter.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: huhhot

What if you simplify the surface before cropping? Does that allow you to select it? It might be that there are too many points.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
huhhot
in reply to: tcorey

the surface is generated from LiDar file.

No, the simplify surface option is grey out.

Thanks,

Jiang

Message 4 of 9
troma

Are you sure you actually have a TIN surface in the drawing? Can you post a screenshot of you prospector surfaces collection?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 9
huhhot
in reply to: troma

Thanks for reply my post. I attached ascreenshot, which shows my surfaces list.

Thanks,

Jiang

Message 6 of 9
sirjoelsph

You appear to have Grid surfaces created from a DEM file.  Grid surfaces do not support all of the surface editing operations that TIN surfaces do.  Search for "Surface Editing Operations" in the help file and you can see which are supported.

I would imagine that you are having the same problem when trying to crop your surfaces - that operation is not supported for Grid surfaces (couldn't verify this).

You can create TIN surfaces instead of Grid surfaces from DEM files and that might have to be your answer to do what you're looking for.

-JOEL

-JOEL
Message 7 of 9
huhhot
in reply to: sirjoelsph

Thanks, Joel; You have answered my question and I acturally refreshed the concept of grid surface and tin surface once again.

I'm new on the project. I didn't know why the surface initially created in grid.

Thanks, for the help.

Jiang

Message 8 of 9
KOShaughnessy

We're having the same issue today. Downloaded LiDAR DEM geoTiffs. Created a surface from DEM. We try cropping but it doesn't let us. We're on 2016. I don't see a way to bring the DEM in as a TIN instead of a Grid.

Message 9 of 9

In case anyone is interested anymore, I found a couple different ways to create a TIN surface from DEM files.

1. New surface (from scratch) > Definition > DEM files.  You can now make a cropped surface from this TIN.

2. Make a surface style to show just triangles. Explode the surface to 3D Faces. Make new TIN surface from the 3D faces. Only use the 3D faces you need for your new surface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report