Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 still has the publish to PDF layer bug?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
nbawden
4185 Views, 17 Replies

2011 still has the publish to PDF layer bug?

Am I correct in saying that 2011 also has the ongoing bug whereby you can't stop layer info being included when you Publish using DWG to PDF irrespective of whether you have told it to or not?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tcorey
in reply to: nbawden

I get the same result as you. I can use DWG to PDF with a regular plot and get it to not send layer info, but using Publish, even if I set both the pc3 file and the publish options to not include layer info, the layers show up.

Tim Corey

Redding, CA

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 18
Mark_Castle
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

In C3D 2010, if I set the publish dialog box per the attached screen shot, I get a multi-sheet PDF without the layer info. Is this issue specific to 2011? One thing I have noticed is that Publish to: in the upper left has to be set to "PDF", and not "Plotter named in page setup." Does this help?

-Mark Castle

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 4 of 18
tcorey
in reply to: Mark_Castle

Hi Mark,

Which PDF driver is that? Using the Autodesk-supplied DWG to PDF.pc3, it doesn't work correctly in 2010 or 2011. If you just use Plot, it works fine.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 18
Mark_Castle

Tim,

In my PDF page setup I do specify the DWG to PDF.pc3 file. However, in the Publish dialog I select PDF instead of "Plotter named in page setup." Not sure which driver it's using in that case, but it works for me.

Mark Castle
Message 6 of 18
tcorey

Mark, have you created a Page Setup called PDF that specifies DWG to PDF? Maybe your Page Setup specifies an Adobe driver?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 18
Mark_Castle

Tim, attached is a shot of my PDF page setup. I'm using the PDF ePlot by Autodesk. In fact, I don't even have full Acrobat on my machine. The only PDF printer I have is the CutePDF Writer. I think the key for me is selecting PDF in the upper left of the Publish dialog box as shown in my first screen shot.

Mark Castle
Message 8 of 18
tcorey

Thanks for the reply, Mark. That's the exact issue we are pointing out. If I select Plotter Named in Page Setup, even though I have that Plotter Named in Page Setup set to not export layer information, it does anyway. What you are using is a known workaround, and it doesn't solve the core issue.

Why is this issue important? If part of your publish set is going to PDF and part is going to hardcopy or DWF, you must use Plotter in Named Setup, which means you will not be able to exclude layer information in the pdf's.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 18
gccdaemon

The Arial font bug has been fixed. As far as publishing goes, there is a third setting in the sheet set mannager (assuming that's what you're publishing from). Right click on the Sheet set then Publish>Manage Sheetset Publish Options. You'll have to set the PDF plot options here. I created a Sheet Set Template, so I don't have to redo those settings every time. Let me know if this fixes your problem.  Robot Happy

P.S. Take note of the merge control under the PDF options. This is aggrivating if you use overwrite settings and they get thrown out during publish to PDF.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 10 of 18
gccdaemon
in reply to: gccdaemon

Sorry it was Right Click on Sheet Set then Publish>Sheet Set Options (for those of you who have trouble finding Manage Sheet Set Publish Otions...lol).Robot Very Happy

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 11 of 18
nbawden

Thanks Mark that works for me - never thought to try that before

Message 12 of 18
hnharris86

I think I am more understanding the OP's problem and I think that we are having the same issue. It's not a bug though. When you are batch plotting to PDF it is not the layer information that is being appended to your file, it is the layout name. As far as I can tell there is no workaround for this except for using a separate batch utility to remove the "-model" after the fact.

Heather Harris
Message 13 of 18
jonbaker
in reply to: hnharris86

I am getting this problem in Civil 2012 version F.107.0.0 SP1.

I can plot my sheets to a PDF using the PC3 i created one at a time and not get layer information. However, when i use either the SSM -> Publish -> Publish to PDF or Publish Dialog Box and use the same PC3, the layers show up.

I have looked and set everything i can find to "do not include layer information" yet it still does.

Any help please...

Jon Baker

CenterPoint Integrated Solutions, LLC

Evergreen, CO 80439

(Civil 3D 2012 & AutoCAD 2012 on Vista 64bit)
Message 14 of 18
jmatthei

The workaround I use is I publish to a pdf, then I use the windows print drivers to print from pdf to pdf.  In addition to getting rid of the layers, it also reduces the file size to 25-40% of the original.  Note that this does also blow up the ability to check dimensions on the pdf--it does truly turn it into dumb electronic paper, so if it's important that your client be able to do the dimension checks, this won't work for you.

Jeremy

Message 15 of 18
antoniovinci
in reply to: jmatthei

jmatthei wrote:

The workaround I use is I publish to a pdf, then I use the windows print drivers to print from pdf to pdf

That sounds familiar to me, sir...

Message 16 of 18
jonbaker
in reply to: antoniovinci

well work arounds are good. but I bill by the hour and i do not want to take any extra steps. I would like a FIX please. thank you.

Jon Baker

CenterPoint Integrated Solutions, LLC

Evergreen, CO 80439

(Civil 3D 2012 & AutoCAD 2012 on Vista 64bit)
Message 17 of 18
raulitron

Hi,

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2011 and for me what works is to set "Publish to: PDF", then in Publish Options... select layer information: don't include, merge control: lines overwrite.

In DWG to PDF.pc3 settings I have "include layer information" unchecked under custom properties.

EDIT: oops this was a civil 3D forum... well maybe it works? 🙂 Also for each sheet name I have 'page setup Default:none'

Message 18 of 18
joelamoreno

The problem can be solved by changing the "publishcollate" system variable to 0. For some reason if it's set to 1 it will publish the job as a single file and include the layer information in the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report